Help me! Pro Circuit Ti 4 Way too loud!

20 replies to this topic
  • Doug06fx4screw

Posted September 22, 2015 - 04:45 PM

Recently bought an 03 WR450 with a full PC Ti4 exhaust. Bike runs amazing, but it's obnoxiously loud. I plan on pulling the silencer apart to see if it's due for a repack but, from what I hear a repack will not quiet this exhaust down much. Is there a quieter slip on that will fit the pro circuit header pipe? Not looking to choke this bike down with a stock exhaust, just looking to quiet her down a bit. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Doug06fx4screw, September 22, 2015 - 04:48 PM.

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted September 23, 2015 - 04:14 PM

Bump...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 23, 2015 - 04:18 PM

Call PC and ask them about 'quiet insert' options.

https://www.google.c...518.ptpyf7m9xL8

• Baja trail Rider

Posted September 23, 2015 - 09:03 PM

I had one on my 11 450way too loud.Removed it now 08YZ header/stock shorty muffler.

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted September 24, 2015 - 04:50 PM

Thanks guys. I will give the quiet insert a try and hope it tones it down a few decibels.

• ThumpMe

Posted September 25, 2015 - 10:38 AM

A lot of these "race" style pipes are pretty much straight through cores. That is why they are so loud.

I have built aluminum discs using different diameter hole patterns to effectively quite down several pipes I have installed on bikes. Basically they are just pretty thin (usually about 1/8th to 1/4 inch discs) that bolt in just before the pipe endcap. They even use the same bolts to hold them in place that the end cap is mounted with. 

Fairly straight forward and real effective.

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted September 25, 2015 - 04:23 PM

A lot of these "race" style pipes are pretty much straight through cores. That is why they are so loud.

I have built aluminum discs using different diameter hole patterns to effectively quite down several pipes I have installed on bikes. Basically they are just pretty thin (usually about 1/8th to 1/4 inch discs) that bolt in just before the pipe endcap. They even use the same bolts to hold them in place that the end cap is mounted with.

Fairly straight forward and real effective.

That is a great idea. If I had the tools to machine aluminum I would give it a try.

• ThumpMe

Posted September 25, 2015 - 07:07 PM

Yeah, I am fortunate that I have the machines and the know how to make just about anything.

A buddy of mine did do a bang up job of building a couple quieting end caps  by just using a hand held drill with a hole saw after he saw the ones I made!

Basically he just punched out a couple three inch diameter circles of 1/8th inch aluminum, and then laid out and drilled another hole pattern of about 8-10 holes in the aluminum disc after he had it punched out.

They may not have been as accurate a pattern as the ones I did, but once installed in the pipe no one could tell the difference, and the pipe was a lot quieter!

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted September 26, 2015 - 04:58 PM

I bit the bullet and ordered a quiet insert. At $58 I hope it makes a noticeable difference. I will update once it's installed.

• ozijake08

Posted October 03, 2015 - 04:05 AM

who cares if its loud

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Doug06fx4screw

Posted October 03, 2015 - 04:13 AM

who cares if its loud

When you get old you will care too.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 03, 2015 - 04:00 PM

who cares if its loud

Because it's the right thing to do.

Arrogance looses land.

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted October 03, 2015 - 06:00 PM

Because it's the right thing to do.

Arrogance looses land.

Very well said. Thank you sir!

• ozijake08

Posted October 04, 2015 - 03:19 AM

No Pun meant, i guess im lucky living in south east Queensland Australia, about 4 times a year at holiday times a dozen of us meet and camp at a mates farm .

that backs on to approx 100sq kilometers of state forest,is just awesome ridding, big place some of us have been riding in there since we were kids 35 years ago we have never come accross any one else in there even at the busiest

holiday times of the year and we ride in there for several days at a time , so i guess loud exhausts inst an issue for us, lucky hey

• ozijake08

Posted October 04, 2015 - 03:22 AM

sorry i missed a zero on that the state forest we rid in is approx 1000sq kilometers

• ozijake08

Posted October 04, 2015 - 03:45 AM

BTW my bike is a 09 wr450 with a YZ450 GYTR full exhuast fitted, not real loud until you get up it.

as for loud bikes a lot of harleys are obnoxiously loud but back in the mid 80s B4 noise pollution became a real issue.

i had a 1982 Ducati 900ss with 40mm Delorto bell mouth carbies and open Conti exhuasts never realized how loud it was 

till i swapped bikes on a ride with a mate one day and followed it,nearly perforated an ear drum. ahhh the good old days 

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted October 04, 2015 - 03:11 PM

I live in a rural area, so I don't have an issue with disturbing the peace. My exhaust is just too loud for my preference.

I disassembled the silencer and found that 1/3 of the baffle is gone, what's left of it is brittle and crumbling apart. I ordered a new baffle and a quiet insert. If all goes as planned, I will have it back together next weekend and my bike will be at least tolerable for me to ride. If not, then I will be looking at a different exhaust system, trying to avoid that route!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 04, 2015 - 03:47 PM

It also runs MUCH better with the packing 100% intact, because that's how it was tuned.

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted October 04, 2015 - 04:53 PM

It also runs MUCH better with the packing 100% intact, because that's how it was tuned.

The packing was in decent shape and intact, the baffle pipe that the packing is wrapped in is what's in bad shape and partly gone.

Question on repacking, should I wrap it tight as possible or should I loosely wrap it?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 04, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Wrap it only tight enough to fit.

I use that blue painters tape to hold in in place, which comes apart as soon as it gets hot.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.