Tips and tricks to starting 2013 YZ450F

4 replies to this topic
  • djmurray

Posted September 21, 2015 - 10:34 PM

Hi Everybody.

So I have a 2013 YZ450F - It has stage 2 cams, reworked head (porting), weighted fly wheel, WR Gear box  and an akrapovic titanium pipe.

Just had the bike shimmed.

I love this bike, but I do battle to start her unless I have the fast idle on, this is particlulary difficult when I stall on a massive slope :p

Would really appreciate some feedback on how fellow riders get this right!

Edited by djmurray, September 21, 2015 - 10:36 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 22, 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hi Everybody.

So I have a 2013 YZ450F - It has stage 2 cams, reworked head (porting), weighted fly wheel, WR Gear box  and an akrapovic titanium pipe.

Just had the bike shimmed.

I love this bike, but I do battle to start her unless I have the fast idle on, this is particlulary difficult when I stall on a massive slope :p

Would really appreciate some feedback on how fellow riders get this right!

If it is any consolation, my friend has the same problem.   We are looking into a few things.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • defilmcrew

Posted September 22, 2015 - 07:00 PM

What is the idle set to when its hot? Should be about 2k to 2100, mine is ridiculous to start if i have it set to 1700 to 1800 when its hot. And make sure it is on tdc when you try to kick it or it wont start easily

Edited by defilmcrew, September 22, 2015 - 07:01 PM.

• djmurray

Posted September 22, 2015 - 11:37 PM

• cpetz24

Posted September 23, 2015 - 04:21 AM

If you stall it you definitely want to put it in neutral as step 1.  Too much clutch drag on these bikes.  

Then make sure you find TDC and give it one good kick.  Don't just start flailing away at it.  If it doesn't start, find TDC again and repeat.  Just be patient with it and it will start.  I learned that you save much more time and effort if you slow down, and follow the steps.  

Set the idle around 2K and you should be fine, but i've never really noticed on mine that it makes that much of a difference as long as it's not crazy slow.  

Also, what map do you have in it?  When I changed mine from the stock map to the woods map it made a pretty good difference on the starting.  Mine is a 2011 so it may be slightly different, but it did seem to help.  

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.