Atv clutch in yz/WR 450

9 replies to this topic
  • knuckleduster271

Posted September 18, 2015 - 05:59 AM

The new Yamaha 450 atv's have a slipper clutch in them from the factory. I found a decent deal on a used one from a 2014 yfz450rr, can anyone tell me if this will fit? I was thinking the 2010+ bikes had an extra plate or something but can be made to work with 06-09 machines. Didn't know if the same applied to these or not.

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2015 - 06:55 AM

It's extremely unlikely that any of it will fit.  The clutch uses a different trans main shaft, which won't fit the '06-'09 cases because the quad trans is wider, just for openers.

The '03-'06 YZ450 has a 9 plate clutch.  Later stuff has 8. 

• knuckleduster271

Posted September 21, 2015 - 06:28 AM

I bought it, the guy said if it won't work I can send it back for a full refund minus shipping.
I'm not sure how well it would work in a bike anyways even if it does fit being as the atv is much heavier and by looking at a parts breakdown it doesn't look like they can be tuned by replacing springs like the aftermarket slippers.
It's cheap so I'll give it a shot.

• Geoffit

Posted September 22, 2015 - 04:57 AM

Actually the ATV slipper drops right in I have them in a couple of 08s and two 14s. You need all the stuff in the basket and the first 3 outer plates. You need to sort out the clutch pack total thickness but by mixing the steel plates it works out. The clutch works well, smooth slip and a light pull.

• knuckleduster271

Posted September 22, 2015 - 08:09 AM

That's good to hear. II spoke with the owner of a local atv shop and he said they put a slipper from a 2014 yfz in a 09 yfz but had to shave .020 off the basket, said if it will work in that then it will go into the 06-09 engine without any problems.
The setup I bought came with everything but plates so I guess I'll have to figure out which ones I need to buy. You don't happen to have the part numbers for the ones you had to get do you?
I'm running this in a motard, I was kinda wondering how well it performed in a bike since there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust it with different springs and with the quad being heavier I figured it would be setup for them.
Have you ever ran a stm or hinson slipper? Just wondering how well it compares to the aftermarket slippers.
Thanks for your reply

Edited by knuckleduster271, September 22, 2015 - 08:12 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Geoffit

Posted September 22, 2015 - 10:15 AM

I have used all the slippers out there and I would say the Yamaha unit is up to it, the good thing is there are no parts that give issues like broken slip springs. The design is similar to what is used in the new R1 .

The outer plates you need are

2. 1TD-16331-00

1 1TD-16324-00.

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2015 - 10:10 AM

Is this an auto clutch, like a Rekluse, or a back torque limiter, like the Hinson slipper?

• knuckleduster271

Posted September 23, 2015 - 11:18 AM

Is this an auto clutch, like a Rekluse, or a back torque limiter, like the Hinson slipper?

From my understanding its like a hinson.
I just got it in the mail today and took it apart. It has ramps inside like a hinson, fits inside the basket and the splined line up OK so I'm thinking it will work.

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2015 - 11:47 AM

I completely understand the need for such things on an R1, and to some extent on an SM YZ450F, but I never get why someone would want one on a dirt bike. 

• knuckleduster271

Posted September 23, 2015 - 01:31 PM

I completely understand the need for such things on an R1, and to some extent on an SM YZ450F, but I never get why someone would want one on a dirt bike.

I understand the need for them on dirt also, more so on asphalt though.
Basically it takes all the engine braking away- you can go into corners a lot faster and can regulate your speed yourself by letting the suspension and brakes do all the work which is alot more controlled. You also don't have to worry about wheel hop effecting the way that you take turns.
Really helps when you're backing it in also.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.