Updating an 09 to hang with FI 450F

31 replies to this topic
  • Dklassen

Posted September 22, 2015 - 11:44 AM

MattC - if you had the suspension worked on and the rest of the bike is in good working condition you don't need to upgrade it to be competitive. What you need is seat time and proper technique. Quit reading about new bikes and study up on riding. I can guarantee that a brand new 16 isn't going to improve your skill or make you faster. It's not about the bike. I suggest you get some proper instruction from a riding school and concentrate on that rather than buying any bling for your bike.

• Matt C.

Posted September 22, 2015 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. I know seat time is the key. I ride all I can.

I'd like to take a class and maybe soon I will be able to.

Edited by Matt C., September 22, 2015 - 11:52 AM.

• UncleLuke

Posted September 23, 2015 - 06:29 AM

Yeah, what he said, more riding and working on problem areas.

Most MX tracks around here have an MX school once a week were you get some one on one with pro rider techniques, identify pain points (jumping, corner speed, bad habits).

Other than that, watch the fast guys at your track, and what they do, talk to them, you will learn a lot from them, ask them to critique your riding style, your bike.

I am 30, been riding 18 years and am still the slow guy on the track :(

• Matt C.

Posted September 23, 2015 - 06:39 AM

There are a couple mx schools in the area. I need to look into one or ten.

Corner speed is my biggest weak spot. It's getting better. The local track here is technical with several different types of turns.

• UncleLuke

Posted September 23, 2015 - 07:07 AM

All tracks are technical with several different types of turns. Keep riding, expect to fall a lot until you get it down

MX school is not always necessary.

You would be surprised what you can learn from fellow fast riders at the track if you know what to look for.

Having a friend film me on iPhone and play back has helped me identify some of my bad habits. 

• UncleLuke

Posted September 23, 2015 - 07:08 AM

This thread title need to be updated to "Updating an amatur rider to hang with more advanced riders"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt C.

Posted September 23, 2015 - 07:13 AM

I reckon you're right. And moved to riding technique section

• beezer

Posted September 23, 2015 - 08:00 AM

I went to an MX school and learned a few things and got to ride a bunch,

Money well spent.

• jcm3

Posted September 23, 2015 - 09:51 AM

I can also understand the desire to get a newer bike though.  They look so damned good!

Funny, related to this thread, I had a 2000 KX500 that I bought and blew the motor.  While it was down, I went through it and did a bunch of stuff, like bearings, plastics, had the suspension done, oversized front brake, etc.  It was still a 200 KX500 motor, but had new everything.

When I sold it and bought my sweet '14, I compared my GoPro lap times and they were the SAME.  :lol:  It's definitely the rider, but I can also understand wanting a shiny, new(er) bike.

• Matt C.

Posted September 23, 2015 - 10:10 AM

I can also understand the desire to get a newer bike though. They look so damned good!

Funny, related to this thread, I had a 2000 KX500 that I bought and blew the motor. While it was down, I went through it and did a bunch of stuff, like bearings, plastics, had the suspension done, oversized front brake, etc. It was still a 200 KX500 motor, but had new everything.

When I sold it and bought my sweet '14, I compared my GoPro lap times and they were the SAME. :lol: It's definitely the rider, but I can also understand wanting a shiny, new(er) bike.

Thanks for the reply. I come from an automotive background. I have customized every vehicle I have ever owned. However I am a function over form type of person. The new bikes do look amazing but my 09 does just fine for me. So I reckon, I'll hang on to her and try to sharpen/develop some riding skills.

I'm sure that I'll try to make it a little more mine as time progresses.

Thanks and keep the comments coming

Matt

• jcm3

Posted September 23, 2015 - 12:50 PM

It's also a question about the type of bike.  One of the reasons I got rid of my KX500 was because it wasn't the right kind of bike for what I do.  For dune, desert or trail riding (or hill climbs), it would have been awesome.  But for MX, at least the kind that I do (mostly vet track stuff at my age), it wasn't optimal.  The bike didn't scare me at all, but it hits a bit hard for some of the hard pack that you might see on the typical vet track, especially for short runs out of corners with big jumps to clear on hardpack.  Your current bike is great for any kind of MX, though.

I should have kept it , it was a sweet bike.  I had the motor rebuilt by Tom Morgan (Jeff Ward's factory mechanic for years), and he did his head, power valve, cylinder and slide mods. It was fast, but in a controllable sort of way.  Great sound, too

But, I love my '14, too!

IMG_1303_zps32a1d71d.jpg

• Matt C.

Posted September 23, 2015 - 05:32 PM

That looks good! Thanks for the comments.

Looking into mx schools in my area and trying to line up a full weekend of seat time soon.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.