Enduro Suspension Mods for YZ450F

10 replies to this topic
  • wweagleflyer

Posted September 17, 2015 - 07:32 PM

I have  been looking into getting my YZ450F setup more for trail (woods) riding.  I have contacted 4 different suspension shops given them all the exact same description, and the quotes I got range from $550 to over $1500.  All cases involve both re-valve and new springs for both the shock and forks.  I know this may be a bit of a lame question, but is there really that much difference from one suspension shop to the other to have the price change by a factor of 3x??  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Scott

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 17, 2015 - 08:11 PM

It's like anything else.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you pay for what you get.

Some shops do only 'full race' set up to your suspension: special coatings, custom pistons, billet adjusters, etc.

They are going to be priced at the top of the scale.

Other shops have 'figured out' what works using the least amout of changes, for specific kinds of terrain.

I prefer a more local shop, or, a shop that caters specifically to the type of riding I do.

EG: you would not use ProCircuit for Enduro tuned suspension. Not that they are capable, but becuse it's not where the come from. 

Stillwell, RG3, TBT, are some companies that do offroad tuning as thier core method of suspension tuning.

There are specific shops that do a better job with KYB for offroad than others.

....but the most important thing is the information you give them, so they know exactly what to build for you.

You have to be very specific about actual weight, riding style, and terrain type.

If you tell them you sit down most of the time, use a Rekluse, and are geared 12/51, you will get a different build from someone who tells them that you stand up all day, don't use a rekluse, and are geared 14/51.

I would talk to riders you come across who seem to have less struggle with their bikes about how they are tuned and by who. 

If your YZ is 2007 or later, you have SSS suspension, and it can made to be anything you want; you just have to know exactly what that is.

• cpetz24

Posted September 18, 2015 - 04:44 AM

Depends on what you are doing with it .  Are you going to be just trail riding it the whole time?  The Kayaba SSS suspension is by far the best stock suspension that I have been on and has the broadest range of usability on the market.   I race hare scrambles at a fast B to slower A pace and love the way my suspension works.  I'm 6'2", 210lbs geared up.  My setup is as so:  

Front Forks

Compression - 18 out

Rebound - 12 out

Raise forks up in triple clamps so that 5 mm of the bronze color is showing.

Rear Shock

Low Speed Compression - 16 out

High Speed - 1.5 turns out

Rebound  - 9 out 

Sag - 105-107 mm 

I just finished 13th overall in a Missouri State Race this past weekend with this setup so it seems to work fairly well and this is with no revalve.  I think that if I want to consistently get up to the fast A guys I'm going to have to do some work to the suspension to allow for the pace.  

On a side note, I also just installed a Tubliss system and run that at 2 psi.  I noticed that it gave the rear end an added cushion to the small chatter and roots that you will run into offroad.  If you're looking to spend some money, save it on the revalve, and go with the stock setup with the tubliss.  

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 18, 2015 - 05:07 AM

Changing the stock fork oil will make a large improvement, as the stock stuff only lasts about 20 hours before going gooey.

SKF seals will also help for the low speed stuff, reducing stiction.

• Wiz636

Posted September 18, 2015 - 06:08 AM

If you tell them you sit down most of the time, use a Rekluse, and are geared 12/51, you will get a different build from someone who tells them that you stand up all day, don't use a rekluse, and are geared 14/51.

What does the Rekluse clutch have to do with anything?

I agree that TBT Racing is a great choice for suspension. They know off road, they know Kayaba, and their pricing is fair. Best suspension I have ever had.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cpetz24

Posted September 18, 2015 - 06:25 AM

Changing the stock fork oil will make a large improvement, as the stock stuff only lasts about 20 hours before going gooey.

SKF seals will also help for the low speed stuff, reducing stiction.

+1 on the oil level.  Forgot to mention that.  I have 5 wt oil with 10cc removed from the stock level of 355 cm^3

• wweagleflyer

Posted September 19, 2015 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for all the input guys.  I hadn't contacted TBT racing, I will check them out.

If your YZ is 2007 or later, you have SSS suspension, and it can made to be anything you want; you just have to know exactly what that is.

Mine is an 06.  I thought the 06 and 07 had the same basic suspension.  What are the main advantages of the SSS forks over what I have in my 2006 forks?

• grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2015 - 09:19 AM

The '06 and later YZ's do indeed have the same basic SSS fork and suspension as all the later YZ's.  It was the WR that didn't get the SSS until '12.  

• supermoto400

Posted September 20, 2015 - 08:07 AM

John over at MotoPro suspension in Woodinville, WA is excellent. My '06 fork and shock are going into him next week.

http://www.moto-pro.com

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 20, 2015 - 08:31 AM

The '06 and later YZ's do indeed have the same basic SSS fork and suspension as all the later YZ's.  It was the WR that didn't get the SSS until '12

fixed

• 700rScott

Posted September 23, 2015 - 08:41 AM

My 06 450, I'm running eibach springs for a 210lb rider and Front shock Rebound clicks out 7 Compression clicks out 12. The rear shock Rebound clicks out 5 Low speed compression clicks out 10 High speed compression 1.75 turns. I haven't done any thing besides having them serviced and springs. I'm happy with that set up right now, I do know they could be a little better but for just PA/ NJ trail riding I'm happy with that set up.

Edited by 700rScott, September 23, 2015 - 08:41 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.