01 YZ426 Piston Size

3 replies to this topic
  • YZ Yankee

Posted September 17, 2015 - 04:55 PM

Can someone tell me why the stock piston size for this bike is listed as 94.93, but the specs in the manual states 94.945 to 94.96

Attached Thumbnails

• 1442537710253.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2015 - 06:28 AM

Where did you find the listing for the "stock piston size" at 94.93?  

Also, understand that the difference between 94.93 and 94.96 is all of .0011" 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ Yankee

Posted September 18, 2015 - 07:42 AM

Where did you find the listing for the "stock piston size" at 94.93?

Also, understand that the difference between 94.93 and 94.96 is all of .0011"

Great! Good question.
I guess I was looking at aftermarket pistons.. Vertex and came across that as being stock oem size.
They also have slightly oversize listed as B,C,D. 93.94, 93.95
The difference seems small, when converted to inches, but when considering cylinder to bore clearance and wear specifications, it appears to make a difference.

My specific concern, my cylinder is worn, still round within specs, plating still good.
I took it apart due to a leaking headgasket.
The compression was pretty good, but I want to replace the piston and rings. They are the same one that came in the bike 1 1/2 years ago.

I found the following marking on the underside of the piston, Y 3.

Edited by YZ Yankee, September 18, 2015 - 07:45 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2015 - 08:33 AM

Yamaha offers pistons in one size only.

Have your cylinder measured by a machinist using a dial bore gauge.  This will accurately tell you whether it's really serviceable or not.  Maximum variance from straight or round is .002" 

When you use a used bore, the piston, if available in alternative sizes, must be fit so its minimum clearance in the smallest part of the bore (usually just under the ring swept zone at BDC) must be at least the minimum specified by the piston manufacturer, while the clearance at the most worn area of the bore must not exceed the max specified.  If this cannot be accomplished, the bore needs to be plated and restored to a round/straight condition. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.