Compression Release Cable

6 replies to this topic
  • 98yz

Posted February 26, 2002 - 07:45 AM

I talked with Chad Reed's mechanic this weekend at the Atlanta SX. I noticed that Chad runs his comp. release on the outside of the clutch. This is the way I would prefer to run mine. On my 00 250 I always ran the clutch lever as far in as I could for the added leverage and feel, but I cannot do this with the 426 due to the cable being to short to move the lever outside the clutch perch. Have any of you found a longer cable to accomodate. Reed's mechanic said they run a Motion Pro that is 16mm longer, but guess what It must be a "Factory Item" because I have not been able to locate one. Any Ideas?

• d_criss

Posted February 28, 2002 - 02:46 PM

I run my compression release on the outside of my clutch, and down. I have been for several months. No problems with the compression release cable being too short. I have ProTaper YZ High bend bars and universal mounting kit that raises the bars even more.

• 98yz

Posted March 01, 2002 - 05:04 AM

Hmm, thanks d_criss. I will try that. I run the Azonics twin wall bars, and I dont think they allow you to move the lever perch as far over, I have a set of Pro-Tapers on order so I will go back and re-adjust then.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DirtJunkiexxx

Posted March 01, 2002 - 01:05 PM

Yeah same here, I run the lever outside/inside on renthal twinwalls Cr hi's No probs!
word! :)

• Boit

Posted March 01, 2002 - 11:25 PM

What do you mean by "outside"? Do you mean that you've relocated the compression release perch on the handle bars above the clutch perch(opposite side from stock)?

• 98yz

Posted March 04, 2002 - 04:43 AM

Boit, when I say outside if you started with left side(when sitting on bike) starting from end of bar going toward the triple clamp, I have Grip, kill switch, clutch perch, comp. perch. I want it to be grip, kill switch, comp. perch, clutch perch.

• yzrider

Posted March 04, 2002 - 04:53 AM

I have tried all different combinations of compression release and clutch perch positions. I always come back to the:

grip -> kill -> clutch -> compression

Compression release is above the clutch. I have Emgo bash guards so I am a bit limited since the clutch lever has to be inside the bash guards. I have yet to smash anything off the bars, so I guess it works for me. I have had this setup with both the stock bars and the Renthal "Jimmy Button's", cable routing has never been an issue.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.