Rear Shock Maint.

15 replies to this topic
  • ryster

Posted February 25, 2004 - 07:55 PM

Hey Everyone, I was wondering how often the rear shock on the wr needs sevicing? oil changed, spring etc.I have no complaints with it other than a slight sag. I am doing a complete overhual getting ready for spring riding :) greasing and lubing head to toe. Thanks in advance

p.s Thanks Wrooster for all the info on the swingarm and linkage bearings :D. Took me two days but am very pleased with the results .My conclusion, the string cheese must go.

Btw. I have a 1998 wr 400 am 5'10 and 200 lbs.
ride 70% mountains 30%desert and everything else in between :D

• BlueDragon

Posted February 26, 2004 - 05:56 AM

Ryster,
Do you mean the string cheese looking stuff in the swing arm/ linkage bearings? Last time I had that apart I noticed that but did not remove it because I thought it held the pins in. Can I remove all that?
:)
Thanks

• latehit

Posted February 26, 2004 - 06:21 AM

I have a WR426 and I just did my swingarm bearings. I removed all that string cheese stuff and that stuff serves two purposes: 1. bearing retention and 2: lubrication. I removed it and repacked all the berings with a good grease. I think I can even feel a difference in how smooth the linkage works. But then again it is probably just the fact that I repacked them so I think that it feels different. But any way you look at it there isn't much grease in the factory bearings. I think that it is worth the effort. :D :)

• ryster

Posted February 26, 2004 - 07:23 AM

I have a WR426 and I just did my swingarm bearings. I removed all that string cheese stuff and that stuff serves two purposes: 1. bearing retention and 2: lubrication. I removed it and repacked all the berings with a good grease. I think I can even feel a difference in how smooth the linkage works. But then again it is probably just the fact that I repacked them so I think that it feels different. But any way you look at it there isn't much grease in the factory bearings. I think that it is worth the effort. :D :)

I agree with latehit.You will have differing opinions on wether or not to remove the the cheese. But 2 of The 3 bearings in my bike were barely moving and all gummed up.
They move like greased lightning now :D If you do decide to the job this link has all the info you need :D
Just make sure you do not lose a needle bearing like I did,
spent an hour on hands and knees with magnet trying to find it, findig out it had somehow got stuck in the tub of grease :D
http://www.thumperfaq.com/swingarm.htm

• Bandit

Posted February 26, 2004 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'm like you, placebo effect or not--I'll take it!

• yamaharichey

Posted February 26, 2004 - 08:05 AM

Ryster, thanks for the link thats great info. By the way I live in Centerville and I thought that was happy valley.

• Bandit

Posted February 26, 2004 - 08:23 AM

Happy Valley is Provo--you know, the missionary training (brainwashing?) center! AKA the epicenter of the Mormon faith. Ha Ha, J/K

• ryster

Posted February 26, 2004 - 08:40 AM

yamaharichey,I am in Utah county aka happy valley. I have never been riding up north, do you have a favorite place to ride? Info would be appreciated :D .My favorites-american fork canyon, hobble creek, wahlsberg ,strawberry river,5 mile.
Will be trying to ride down south soon. moab etc,
as i have never been . and for the fact it is snowing here right now :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wakin

Posted February 26, 2004 - 08:59 AM

ryster - how often do you ride AF? We try to ride once a week in the summer. Meet around 5:00 am so we can still make it to work. Wondering if I can do AF with my paddle on right now :)

This weather sucks!

• ryster

Posted February 26, 2004 - 09:20 AM

wakin, yeah it is going to be awhile before being able to ride AF, paddle tire or not :D But man am I looking forward to it.We ride this area quite often 1-2 times a week in the summer as we live so close to it. 15 min. and your riding :thumbsup:But we have been going up after work
around 5:00. Never tried am.We should definately hook up :) There are usually three of us 2 wr'3 1 xr

• wakin

Posted February 26, 2004 - 11:10 AM

15 minutes? Where are you at? I'm in PG. I rode with an XR last year who's buddies stood him up, mine did to so it worked out.

Mornings are nice but I end up draggin pretty bad later in the day. Cabin fever got the best of us & we hit the dunes on Pres. Day. Lot's of snow but it felt good to ride/fall/slide, whatever it was.

• yamaharichey

Posted February 26, 2004 - 11:31 AM

Ryster, the only riding around is the fire break road that goes along the foot hills from bountiful to Farmington, then up on Skyline drive above the "B" there are a few good trails and roads up there. I havn't heard of riding around the Strawberry river where do you go? and I keep hearing that they are closing down a lot of the American Fork Canyon riding, whats up with that?

• wakin

Posted February 26, 2004 - 11:56 AM

yamaharichey - Looks like basically all the trailheads around Tibble Fork. According to the map I got (supposed to be the new one) The Ridge trail is open along with most others that are not directly accessed from Tibble. The loop around Forrest Lake is still open as well.

• ryster

Posted February 26, 2004 - 06:28 PM

I am in north Orem . Other two in PG and Cedar Hills. How well does the wr do at the dunes?

• ryster

Posted February 26, 2004 - 06:34 PM

yamarichey, as soon as you crest the top of danials canyon heading toward strawberry and you cross the river you take first dirt road to the north. Lots of fun roads and trails :)

• wakin

Posted February 27, 2004 - 05:26 AM

ryster - Great on the trails. I think it feels a little heavy on the dunes but thats compared to my old 2-stroke, but I ride like an old woman anyway so it's all good. A paddle makes it more enjoyable. It climbs the face of Sand Mountain & that's all it takes to make me happy. We'll probably head out again within the next few weeks?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.