07 yz 450f 478cc big bore +3 mm stroker crank

3 replies to this topic
  • Layton111

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:18 AM

I have a 07yz 450f just rebuilt it. I put a cylinder works 478cc big bore kit, +3 mm stroker crank, stage two hot cams and kibble white valves and valve springs. Sense I got it back together I've had a few problems with it starting it and keeping it running. It doesn't want to really start but when it does it sounds good and when u try to take off it dies out or when u go to stop but want it to stay running it dies then don't want to start back up

• mtgraves

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:23 AM

Did you change your jetting to go with your engine changes? If not you might want to search around on here for some ideas on where to go with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:24 AM

You need to drop the main jet size with all that extra vacuum present, that's for sure

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2015 - 10:17 AM

Whether or not any of the jetting actually needs to be changed is debatable, and remains for the engine to decide.  Either way, the main jet is not affecting your starting problem. However, your problem is most likely to be centered on your pilot jet, assuming you haven't done anything silly such as mis-time the cams.

If the carb sat for any length of time during the work you did, there's a better than even chance that the jet will have dried a film of varnish into the metering orifice, and that will not dislodge simply by spraying carb cleaners and blowing air through it.   A film only .001 thick will take a #45 pilot down to the effective metering size of a #39, and that, my friend, is way too small to work. 

This is a very common problem. Read this post and check the jet: http://www.thumperta...o/#entry6879695

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.