Max handle bar height with stock cables WR450f

21 replies to this topic
  • easystreet

Posted September 14, 2015 - 08:43 PM

2015 WR450f - has anyone determined the max additional height over stock that you can raise your bars without having any cable or brake line binding? 

I'm 6'3" and really need to get these taller for standing. 

Also does anyone know what the oem bar rise is? I am looking at doing the Pro Taper Contour in the ATV high bend. This is a 4.75" tall bar. I would like to know how much that gains me. 

Thanks all!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 14, 2015 - 09:20 PM

Re route the cable on the left side and you can go as high as you want.

I have CR High bars on 1.25" risers and have no problem.

Takes 10 min.

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted September 15, 2015 - 09:19 AM

Easystreet,

I would get a Pro taper DRZ110 bend over the ATV high bend. I belive their about the same rise. But the ATV bend has a lot more sweep back and up, which I personnally hate. My friend has the pro taper DRZ110 bar and his cables reach no problem.

Edited by Spiritwalker2222, September 15, 2015 - 09:20 AM.

• easystreet

Posted September 15, 2015 - 04:16 PM

Alright guys thanks for the responses. I just went out and unbolted the bars and turned to full left lock. This is the direction they are going to bind. I can raise the bars off the clamps about 2 inches and everything is great except the clutch cable. It will definitely be pulled too tight. It looks like maybe I can just re-route that cable like Krannie mentioned. Not sure if its the one he meant though. 

Anyway, I took a picture and put yellow arrows indicating current clutch cable location. I put a green arrow to indicate the cable bracket I think I will have to pull it out of. The red arrows are what I see to be the easiest path (run up through the handle bar area). I think it would be fine, but odd looking to go through there. My other thought is if I could get it under the frame all together and up the other side of the bike (where the white arrows are) running a completely different route. Looking at it from the left side I'm not sure how that would all work out. 

Thoughts? 

2090xfs.jpg

Edited by easystreet, September 15, 2015 - 04:23 PM.

• easystreet

Posted September 15, 2015 - 04:26 PM

Easystreet,

I would get a Pro taper DRZ110 bend over the ATV high bend. I belive their about the same rise. But the ATV bend has a lot more sweep back and up, which I personnally hate. My friend has the pro taper DRZ110 bar and his cables reach no problem.

Is your friend riding one of the newer '12 - '15 models? Wondering how much difference may be between model changes. 

And I will look for a DRZ bar, don't recall seeing a model like that in fat bars though. I don't think I want a bunch of sweep either. 

• easystreet

Posted September 15, 2015 - 04:44 PM

OK one more question. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't stay with the stock bars and do the Rox FX 2" antivibe risers. This way I can pivot them fwd some too if desired. I was thinking the antivibe would be nice too since I get wicked hand tingle when on pavement. 

Will the Rox risers interfere with a steering stabilizer if I put one of those on later?

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted September 15, 2015 - 06:45 PM

Is your friend riding one of the newer '12 - '15 models? Wondering how much difference may be between model changes. 

And I will look for a DRZ bar, don't recall seeing a model like that in fat bars though. I don't think I want a bunch of sweep either. 

I forgot to mention he used some bar mounts I had lying around. They are for 7/8" bars, the size of bar the DRZ110 pro taper is.

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted September 15, 2015 - 06:48 PM

I find that moving the bars forward makes a big difference, otherwise I'm too cramped.

• easystreet

Posted September 15, 2015 - 07:30 PM

So I pulled the cable out and can't find a path that will work. The only way that gets it to the perch makes it tight once turned full right (the opposite normally slack direction) and that's in the stock height. There is no room to run the cable between the radiators and up the left side. I'm stumped here and hope someone that has a 2012-2015 model may know the solution. I looked to see if Motion Pro offers a +2 length for sale and found nothing. I know they could custom make one, but damn. 

Somebody has to have crossed this bridge. 

Pics below show the re-route tension. 

2rz83le.jpg

315nc0p.jpg

• Summit

Posted September 16, 2015 - 05:55 AM

I had barrisers on mine and I felt they affected the handling in a negative way. They were more comfortable for standing but I think they made the steering feel weird. I finally removed them after having them on for years and I feel that the bike handles better without them. I know that's a little off topic but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • easystreet

Posted September 16, 2015 - 07:41 AM

I had barrisers on mine and I felt they affected the handling in a negative way. They were more comfortable for standing but I think they made the steering feel weird. I finally removed them after having them on for years and I feel that the bike handles better without them. I know that's a little off topic but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Not off topic at all. I have wondered about this. Thinking of stock placement basically being central to the pivot point I've wondered if it would change the feeling from turning the bars to swinging the bars. Not sure I would notice an approx inch fwd though. 

• chu

Posted September 16, 2015 - 10:32 AM

The stock bars rotated one notch forward work good for me but I'm not that tall.  I tried two notches at first but I would get headshake at high speeds. 

• easystreet

Posted September 16, 2015 - 01:30 PM

Here is what I have discovered. I took the clutch perch and pushed it in towards the clamps a good inch or more. Not only did this free up some cable length, but it also made my finger reach much more comfortable for my big hands since I am now two finger grabbing closer to the end of the lever which is further away. I figure this probably increases leverage and reduces fatigue too. 

I called Motion Pro and a longer cable would be a custom build at $48 and take around two weeks to receive. They don't stock a +2 for these oddly. 

That said with my lack of patience I ordered the Rox true 1 1/4" vertical rise blocks. I will leave the OEM bars on to see how this all feels and works. I would think the length I gained will be about the same as I lose per the higher clamp. 

If I need more height after this I figure I can buy some one inch taller bars and order the custom cable. Thanks for the input guys, I will update how it works out soon.

• easystreet

Posted September 19, 2015 - 06:14 PM

So, the Rox 1.25" vertical riser is on and made a huge difference. It felt like I raised them 3 inches. A little bit makes a big difference. Standing feels much better and seated I would say it's perfect. I don't think I will need to go any higher which is good since its about max for that stock clutch cable reach. 

• DPete

Posted September 20, 2015 - 08:28 AM

I'm 6'3" also had the same question, Krannie how about a pic of your cable routing next time you have it apart. Looks like it needs to enter the case end from the right because of the bell crank angle

• chriswr450f

Posted October 13, 2015 - 10:29 AM

So, the Rox 1.25" vertical riser is on and made a huge difference. It felt like I raised them 3 inches. A little bit makes a big difference. Standing feels much better and seated I would say it's perfect. I don't think I will need to go any higher which is good since its about max for that stock clutch cable reach.

• chriswr450f

Posted October 13, 2015 - 10:31 AM

I hope you can help me with your experience .
I have a new 2015 WR460F but bars to low. Was thinking of 50mm bar risers but eoundered would the OEM Cables etc be ok or would I need to order longer ones. I will be keeping the OEM bars .

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 13, 2015 - 02:49 PM

Have used stock cables with the tallest Tusk risers and a Pastrama FMF bend (very tall) handlebar.  I'm only 6' and it felt kind of funny sitting because I had the stock seat setup, but it was super sweet standing up.  That was my '08.  On my '12 just the risers and stock bars so far, but if/when they get bent I'm going back to the Pastrana bars. 

• DrFeelGood

Posted October 13, 2015 - 03:20 PM

I'm 6'8" and I have the 2" rox risers.  The stock bars are pro taper but seem to have a pretty high factory bend.  I like the feel of the bars standing and sitting.

I will say that when I ride other bikes between the WR trips (dual sport, sport bike etc) the WR bars feel like ape hangers for the first 20 minutes or so. 

5957ape_hangers.jpg

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 13, 2015 - 03:23 PM

I'm 6'8" and I have the 2" rox risers.  The stock bars are pro taper but seem to have a pretty high factory bend.  I like the feel of the bars standing and sitting.

I will say that when I ride other bikes between the WR trips (dual sport, sport bike etc) the WR bars feel like ape hangers for the first 20 minutes or so. 

5957ape_hangers.jpg

I don't know how those guys do that.  I would have no choice but to ride standing up else my hands would go numb  :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.