suspension is it really worth it??

15 replies to this topic
  • TAC

Posted February 25, 2002 - 05:30 PM

I was thinking of having the suspension profesionaly done to my weight and ability is it really woht it or just a bunch of hype? Also would you go to just gold valves or have a tuner do it?

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: TAC ]

• Wyatt

Posted February 25, 2002 - 05:34 PM

Yes, it is worth it.

• Matt406

Posted February 25, 2002 - 05:39 PM

It is hte very best mod you can do to improve your riding abilities. The fastest bike only taeks you so far. If your suspension can soak everything up and help you recover form mistakes, you'll be faster, more confident, and not hurt as much. Do it.
matt

• therapture

Posted February 25, 2002 - 06:23 PM

Suspension is the single most effective mod you can make to your bike, all the horsepower in the world means nothing unless you can get it to the ground. And if your bike is bucking you around, hopping over terrain it should follow, and making your life harder due to arm pump, or having to go slower because your forks can't handle that whoop section, then you cannot even come close to using the stock motor. These bikes are plenty fast for amateurs, anyone that says they aren't is full of horse puckey :) So mod your suspension first, so you can realize the handling and output of your bike, then go motor second. Put it this way, I can out ride people 50lbs less my weight because my suspension is tweaked and tuned and allows me to ride to my potential. I still ride the stock motor, save the BK mod, and it is awesome!

• SealClubber

Posted February 25, 2002 - 06:27 PM

Anyone have a 5.4 rear spring they want to sell or trade for a 5.0? There has to be some light weight riders out there who need a 5.0. Anyone? Anyone?

• DaveJ

Posted February 25, 2002 - 06:57 PM

In nearly all cases, a well tuned suspension is everything.

The faster you go and the more demanding you are of the bike, the more critical it becomes.

However, not all shops are created equal. So you'll want to do your homework and go with a shop that can meet your needs.

Ask around and pay a lot of attention to the responses you get.

Good luck!

DaveJ

• h_bomb

Posted February 25, 2002 - 07:10 PM

If you ride 10times a year I wouldnt get it done?

• 98yz

Posted February 26, 2002 - 05:45 AM

Definately worth the money.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CAL

Posted February 26, 2002 - 07:38 AM

I'm understand the importance of good suspension. But on the other hand...If you are good enough, you can go fast and get used to a "not so perfect" suspension. Look at Shane Watts. He runs stock KTM suspension. He has even said he doesn't know which clickers do what! I won't ever pay $400 to $600 for suspension work. I may do a revalve myself...but that's it. If I was racing A class and really trying to get somewhere and my susp. was the only thing keeping me from advancing...I would have the susp. built. Or if the susp. was absolutely terrible. But I don't feel there are very many of our bikes that have terrible susp. from the factory.

I'm a real stickler for improving rider ability instead of spending gobbs of money on things that don't directly affect your speed or fun factor. I would definately try every combination with my clickers to see if I could work some rough areas out, before I spent big money on the susp. Obviously there are extreme cases that apply, such as the rider weighing 270 lbs. or 130 lbs.

That's just my $.02.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 26, 2002 - 07:46 AM

A correctly tuned suspension "will" make you a faster more confident rider.........the key here is "CORRECTLY TUNED"!

• skthom2320

Posted February 26, 2002 - 08:43 AM

I respect CAL's "contrarian" opinion and reference to Shane Watts. But my take on getting your suspension done is really for safety. For those of us (like myself) who DO make mistakes and lack the experience to get out of them safely, well setup and/or revalved suspension will go along way toward keeping us out of the hospital.

Having made almost every clicker and oil height adjustment possible on my bike, then riding someone's revalved suspension, I am a believer. It is so much better it is unreal.

Regards,

Steve T

• kc_husky

Posted February 26, 2002 - 01:57 PM

I just had my suspension revalved by Cycle Zone in Topeka, Ks. What a differance, "WELL" worth the money. A few friends tried the ride out this weekend and were quite amazzed. And it seem to make riding the bike a bit easier for me. I wasn't getting thrown around hitting rocks and roots like I was. :)

• therapture

Posted February 26, 2002 - 02:52 PM

Originally posted by CAL:
I'm understand the importance of good suspension. But on the other hand...If you are good enough, you can go fast and get used to a "not so perfect" suspension. Look at Shane Watts. He runs stock KTM suspension. He has even said he doesn't know which clickers do what! I won't ever pay $400 to $600 for suspension work. I may do a revalve myself...but that's it. If I was racing A class and really trying to get somewhere and my susp. was the only thing keeping me from advancing...I would have the susp. built. Or if the susp. was absolutely terrible. But I don't feel there are very many of our bikes that have terrible susp. from the factory.

I'm a real stickler for improving rider ability instead of spending gobbs of money on things that don't directly affect your speed or fun factor. I would definately try every combination with my clickers to see if I could work some rough areas out, before I spent big money on the susp. Obviously there are extreme cases that apply, such as the rider weighing 270 lbs. or 130 lbs.

That's just my $.02.

I quote you: "Obviously there are extreme cases that apply, such as the rider weighing 270 lbs. or 130 lbs." Hehe, what about me??? I am 250 in gear!!?? Heh...I modify my suspension to make it SAFER and more ENJOYABLE for me...and added speed comes along as a bonus! :)

• ldan

Posted February 26, 2002 - 03:50 PM

I've been reasearching the same subject lately. I ride nearly everyday. I weight about 225. I have been getting the hell knocked out of me and finally decided to ask why. I've read alot of books on the subject and many said you did not need to modify the suspension unless you were riding at a pro level. I disagree. Maybe this was the case 10 years ago, but not now. I ride in the Houston area and can tell you that just in the last year the quality and size of the tracks available to ride has gone way up. 100' + jumps are very common now and rarely is a jump less than 40'. At least around here that has not always been the case. I'm convinced that I should have done this before changing the stock bars when I first bought the bike! The parts are on order, I'll let you know how it goes.

• CAL

Posted February 27, 2002 - 09:14 AM

Like I said...that was just my $.02 Another point I was trying to make was that Shane Watts or Carmichael(sp.?) could get on my bike with bone stock susp. and go through the nastiest sections of the woods or track and make it look effortless...while myself and most other amateurs would have a tough time with it. The difference would be the rider...not the bike. I've seen two pros on TTR125's absolutely smoke guys on 250's and 426's on a GP track and a harescramble. They weren't fast because they had good suspension. I've also seen suspension seminars using a pro as a test rider. He was coming into and off camber, down hill, bumpy turn. The susp. tech. would change settings on the susp. and let the pro ride into the corner. More often than not, the tests didn't work because the rider was able to compensate for the faults of the susp. The susp. tech. even stated that if you're good enough, you can be fast with almost any susp. setup.

95% rider...5% bike is all I'm saying.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 27, 2002 - 09:54 AM

Im faster now because I let Enzo do my suspension. It maybe 95% 5% bike, but the 95% comes out of your head. If your head dont like the bike or the way it reacts, your giving up alot of your 95%. This is verified by the different settings from pro to pro. If you can, compare Carmichaels settings to Pastrana's to McGraths to Vullimen to anybody elses. All different. All can win on anygiven day. Its definitley in the brain, but the brain has to be happy and confident.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.