yz400f decompression lever not working

4 replies to this topic
  • ramcharger

Posted September 10, 2015 - 09:52 AM

Hey would anyone know why my bike is hard to kick over when the spark plug is out and even when i use the decompression lever it doesnt help. The decompression lever is hookep up and does push the valve down but its still just as hard to kick over. The bike has been sitting for a few months too and just was rebuilt. Could the timing be off causing this or what?

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2015 - 01:13 PM

If the plug is out, the decomp lever does nothing simply because there is no compression to release. 

If the engine is overall hard to turn at any random point in the rotation, something is binding, and you have to locate the problem and correct it.  If it turns freely until it gets to a certain spot, the cam timing is probably wrong, and causing on set of valves to impact the piston.  If that is the case, you have probably bent both or all three of the affected valves.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ramcharger

Posted September 10, 2015 - 03:00 PM

If the plug is out, the decomp lever does nothing simply because there is no compression to release. 

If the engine is overall hard to turn at any random point in the rotation, something is binding, and you have to locate the problem and correct it.  If it turns freely until it gets to a certain spot, the cam timing is probably wrong, and causing on set of valves to impact the piston.  If that is the case, you have probably bent both or all three of the affected valves.

is the only way to check for bent valves is by taking them out or can you take the cams off and see?

• fishtime9

Posted September 13, 2015 - 07:47 PM

You can check them by doing the liquid test! That's one of the techniques i used on my 4 wheeler.

Take the head off and spray "carburetor cleaner" down the exhaust and intake enter/exits, then turn it upside down and see if any liquid escapes from the valve ends on the opposite side. (Youtube is your friend, "Liquid Valve Test").

• ramcharger

Posted September 14, 2015 - 10:44 AM

You can check them by doing the liquid test! That's one of the techniques i used on my 4 wheeler.

Take the head off and spray "carburetor cleaner" down the exhaust and intake enter/exits, then turn it upside down and see if any liquid escapes from the valve ends on the opposite side. (Youtube is your friend, "Liquid Valve Test").

ok thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.