WR400F Won't Start

7 replies to this topic
  • exe

Posted September 10, 2015 - 09:30 AM

Argh!

I bought a 2000 WR400F that had a gunked-up carb from being in storage. It kicked over & ran (although it required the choke to be on or it would die).

We pulled the carb, cleaned it all up, and now it won't start. I've been through the carb twice now; everything's where & how it should be. The only electrical we disconnected were the TPS & the spark plug; those are reconnected.

Fuel is getting pumped into the cylinder.

I put a new spark plug in and it is sparking if I test it outside the cylinder.

If I hold the decomp and kick it with throttle open, I'll get a 'woof' every few kicks (not really what I'd call a backfire, but something's happening).

Help!  My leg is getting sore from trying to kick this thing over..

Could it be the CDI is bad (huge coincidence that it would go out while we cleaned the carb).  I have a 2001 WR426F that is running fine..could I swap the CDI to see if that might be it???

Any help is appreciated..thanks!

• Jimmyjaffa

Posted September 10, 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hi, Try from cold, pull choke out, get to just past tdc then kick. Do not prime with any throttle. Worked for me.

Edited by Jimmyjaffa, September 10, 2015 - 02:17 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 10, 2015 - 01:59 PM

Do not cross post !

Hard enough following one bike issues.

• pyro926

Posted September 11, 2015 - 08:13 AM

These bikes can love to foul plugs. Might check that too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • exe

Posted September 11, 2015 - 10:05 AM

Choke, plug, etc...tried all that.  I decided to start with the one thing I touched: the carb.

So...I pulled the carb from the running 426 & put it on the 400 and it starts & runs great. Apparently I had put something together wrong on the 400 carb: There's a plate with a hole in it that sits on the cylinder side. I had assembled it upside down with the hole at the top. I fixed that, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Fingers crossed that that's the only thing I messed up!  I'm glad I bought 2 nearly identical bikes :-)

re. Cross Post: Hope that wasn't directed at me...I didn't post this anywhere else I'm aware of.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 11, 2015 - 11:56 AM

I thought one of the responders was asking a new question....my bad

• Jimmyjaffa

Posted September 11, 2015 - 01:52 PM

Chap that'll be the problem. I did the same thing but when mine did start it revved the nuts off itself. I found a post from I think 2006, at 0100 in the morning. I was straight out of bed to check, and yes I had done the same

• exe

Posted September 13, 2015 - 10:53 AM

Chap that'll be the problem. I did the same thing but when mine did start it revved the nuts off itself. I found a post from I think 2006, at 0100 in the morning. I was straight out of bed to check, and yes I had done the same

That was it for sure. Fired up first kick after correcting the assembly. :ride:

I thought one of the responders was asking a new question....my bad

No worries...I understand it takes a bit of effort to keep the site 'clean'.

Thanks!
Dan

Edited by exe, September 13, 2015 - 10:54 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.