brake problem

9 replies to this topic
  • mat

Posted February 25, 2002 - 05:26 PM

i recently put on the cr style front brake line and replaced the fluid with high temp motul brake fluid(dont remeber the specific name of the fluid) now t seems here and there for no reason the brakes will fade, some days there great, last weekend on the starting line of a desert race, they felt like junk, and were fading in and out for the first 20 miles or so, i have bleed them and cleaned the rotors but not checked the pads yet, doing that tomorow, any ideas what might be the culprit?, thanks
matt

• Norman

Posted February 25, 2002 - 06:15 PM

Matt, when you replaced the brake line did you also replace the washers? If not, replace them with new ones. Other than that all I can think of would be air in the system. I usually drain the fluid and put a clear hose on the bleeder and suck the fluid through while pouring fluid in the reservoir. Use a hose long enough that you can see the air bubbles clear out, that should solve the problem. I use Motul 600 and have never had brake fade.

Norman K.

• Const

Posted February 25, 2002 - 09:39 PM

describe fade????

• DaveJ

Posted February 25, 2002 - 10:20 PM

If you don't have a firm lever, you have air in the system.

If you have a firm lever, but don't have any braking power, your pads are most likely gone.

Oil, engine cleaner, over spray from things like WD40 or silicon, and wash down from other greasy sources can destroy a good set of pads.

And yes...describe fade and include any other details.

• AZ918MAN

Posted February 26, 2002 - 04:23 PM

Make sure you have no air in the line. I routed my cable the same way and run motul 600 and never had fade. Check your rotor it might be time for a new one. also i hate to say this but I run stock honda pads on my front brake and they work great. maybe your master cylinder could be going bad check that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mat

Posted February 26, 2002 - 05:30 PM

thanks for the replys guys, the best i can describe the "fade" is when the bike is on the stand with the wheel spinning it stops it fine, but some days it seems like every other pull of the lever, when riding the bike it will start to stop but then not lock up the wheel but just drag the pads on the rotor, then other times it locks the wheel up completly which is what i want, if that made any sense to anybody, the thing i was thinking was i recently bought a can of brake disc cleaner from a auto zone, would u need a specific type of brake cleaner maybe for these bikes?

• Const

Posted February 26, 2002 - 07:19 PM

sounds like you have a bent caliper or your pucks are sticking. something down there is hanging up and resisting the compression of the pads when you squeeze the lever. probably need to take the thing apart and see.

good luck.

• DaveJ

Posted February 26, 2002 - 08:19 PM

Mat,

Your problem sounds a lot like the problems I had when I got anything petroleum based on my pads.

Perhaps the Auto Zone cleaner is not as pure as it should be, and/or perhaps you go some brake fluid on them during the install of the hose.

By the way, I have had great success with the CRC green label brake clean on both dirt and road bike pads and rotors.

Clean up the rotor and get yourself a new set of pads.

Also, once a set of pads are contaminated, you can't clean them. It doesn't seem possible, but it is.

Hope this helps and let us know how things work out.

DaveJ

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 27, 2002 - 10:10 PM

My front brake was like grabbing a hand full of warm cheese. What I did:

Fastline brake line, honda route.
Wetordry sanded the rotor 320 grit and got it good and clean. New pads, Yamaha pads, sanded those with 120 grit to break any kind of glaze.

Now it stops, it stops right friggin now!
The lever is firm, very honda-esque.

My back brake, still warm cheese. Need new pads. What Ive learned here is the Yamaha brakes are very very sensitive to contamination. I think my front got gooey with fork oil, the back I think has chain lube on it somehow. (no, I lube the chain at the counter shaft.)

• Scott_F

Posted February 27, 2002 - 10:17 PM

No one mentioned this, but it is important to lube the carrier pins that the caliper floats on. Also, check for notches in the pad pin.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.