Ground clearance issues on track

7 replies to this topic
  • Racer577

Posted February 25, 2002 - 03:21 PM

I ran my 426 on the race track for the 2nd time this weekend, but I found that I ran out of ground clearance fairly quickly. I almost had several high sides when the pegs hit the ground so hard that the rear tire lost traction. Has anyone found a solution? I am running 4" shorter suspension with stock wheels, Conti pro dual sport on the front and a goodyear DTII, CD5 on the rear.

John

• F-Pilot

Posted February 25, 2002 - 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Racer577:
I am running 4" shorter suspension with stock wheels, Conti pro dual sport on the front and a goodyear DTII, CD5 on the rear.

John

^This is your problem^

• Boit

Posted February 25, 2002 - 09:01 PM

Did I miss something? How can you lower the suspension by 4" just by changing tires? I've never measured but I don't believe that the stock Dunlops have that much profile. Betty needs another slap.

• therapture

Posted February 26, 2002 - 06:35 AM

Originally posted by Boit:
Did I miss something? How can you lower the suspension by 4" just by changing tires? I've never measured but I don't believe that the stock Dunlops have that much profile. Betty needs another slap.

I *think* he means he has lowered the SUSPENSION travel 4"...as in modified...of course tires on stock rims can't drop it 4 inches!

:) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • J-Dawg

Posted February 26, 2002 - 07:01 AM

I would have to say that when you lower your bike 4" you might have a ground clearance problem. How are those tires working for you,a little slippery?

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 26, 2002 - 07:18 AM

It sounds like you're not riding MX but you're riding onroad or dirt track (I'm not familiar with the tires that you mention so I'm guessing). Is this the case? I wonder if a suspension shop would be able to help you stiffen it up enough to prevent the problem but without making it harsh?

• Scott_F

Posted February 26, 2002 - 10:08 PM

He sounds like a roundy round flat tracker. He may need to unlower the suspension a bit, or stiffen it, or raise the footpegs.

• Racer577

Posted February 26, 2002 - 04:03 PM

I was at the road race track. I have two sets of suspension, one for the woods and a shorter/stiffer set for ice racing, road racing, Pikes peak hill climb. If you want to see photos of the bike on a road race track www.12pointracing.com in the gallery section. aside from loosing ground on the straights we could catch slower R6's in the twisty stuff. I measured my road racer and it is narrower and taller to the pegs than the YZ so I will probably have to cut down some pegs or raise the bike back up some to keep from dragging.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.