New 2015 WR450...ECU without tuner?

10 replies to this topic
  • DangerRanger245

Posted September 06, 2015 - 10:40 AM

Just bought a WR450F yesterday. Got the ECU kit, but the tuner is back ordered for a month.

I put in the new throttle stop screw...what can I do without the tuner? Can I put in the ECU? Can i rip out the air box snorkel and muffler baffle with the ECU but no tuner?

I just need some direction.

• Mcflyz450f

Posted September 06, 2015 - 12:14 PM

I did the all the mods (fmf q4, snorkel, ecu, throttle stop, twin air power flow) without having the tuner. Ran great with no issue but when I installed the maps I noticed a big improvement. I run the fmf map and love it.

• DangerRanger245

Posted September 06, 2015 - 01:12 PM

I wont run lean? Or the new ECU will adjust for the added airflow?

• Mcflyz450f

Posted September 06, 2015 - 04:46 PM

I wont run lean? Or the new ECU will adjust for the added airflow?

If i'm correct they run lean from the factory, not 100% sure on that. I was running in over 100 degree heat with the mods and didn't over heat or anything so I'm sure it was ok. What area of Ca are you? If I'm close or you know someone just have them load a map in for you.

• DangerRanger245

Posted September 06, 2015 - 04:48 PM

My cousin has a tuner. Are these like automotive tuners where once its used, the tuner is "linked" to the vehicle?
I'm in the Antelope Valley

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mcflyz450f

Posted September 06, 2015 - 04:51 PM

My cousin has a tuner. Are these like automotive tuners where once its used, the tuner is "linked" to the vehicle?
I'm in the Antelope Valley

No they are not linked, I'm about 45 min away just past colfax up off of 80. I would just have someone load a map until yours comes in. Not sure why you have to wait for one, I just picked one up at roseville yamaha a few days ago.

• DangerRanger245

Posted September 06, 2015 - 04:55 PM

Roseville? Im in So. Cal. Los Angeles county

• Mcflyz450f

Posted September 06, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Roseville? Im in So. Cal. Los Angeles county

Got it, we have a Antelope area in sacramento that is is a little different in travel time lol. Just have someone flash it for you. I was told at yamaha that the tuner would work on my WR as well as my brothers Yz.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 07, 2015 - 12:04 PM

You are fine without the tuner as far as opening the pee shooter exhaust and taking out the binoculars in the air box.  I keep playing around with different maps, but find myself getting closer and closer to the all "zeros" stock setting each time.  Right now I have added just a tad more fuel and retarded the ignition just a smidge, but would have no issues just running the stock setting.

• DangerRanger245

Posted September 07, 2015 - 12:36 PM

Sweet. Is there a spark arrestor in the stock exhaust? Or will there be if i pull the exhaust pea shooter?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 07, 2015 - 12:39 PM

Sweet. Is there a spark arrestor in the stock exhaust? Or will there be if i pull the exhaust pea shooter?

It'll still be there.  The pea shooter is just a little reducer after the spark arrestor.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.