Gearing Suggestions for XR650L?

5 replies to this topic
  • ksrider

Posted February 25, 2004 - 10:36 AM

I have a 2003 stock XR650L. I want to gain a little more power by changing the front sprocket however I don't want it geared too low. I ride a lot of back roads and want to maintain decent gas mileage. By dropping down to perhaps a 14 or 13 sprocket will this gain me any more power? If so, will it kill the gas mileage? What would be the best combination? :)

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 25, 2004 - 11:22 AM

By dropping down to perhaps a 14 or 13 sprocket will this gain me any more power?

You won't "gain" any more power. You're referring to reducing the extremely tall gearing, especially between 1st & 2nd, on the XRL. I ride the stock setup (15-45) for freeways here in So Cal. Then I change the front countershaft sprocket to a 14-tooth for off-roading. It takes about 10 minutes time, and isn't difficult at all. :D

Some guys carry spare 13's, 14's & 15's and swap them trail side depending on the terrain or if there's any real lengthy street riding involved. :)

The lower gearing is really noticable off-road & on. You'll lose about 5 mph on the top end of both 4th & 5th gear. But the real "gain" is when you're in the dirt. You'll finally be able to ride in 2nd gear in the technical stuff, and you won't have to abuse the clutch (as much) anymore. :D

For city streets and speeds under 60 mph, 14-45 is good to go. Any faster and you'll want to go back to 15 in the front.

The basic rule of thumb for gear changes is 1-tooth up front is equal to 3 in the back, up or down. :D

• jamesp

Posted February 26, 2004 - 04:44 AM

The lower gearing is really noticable off-road & on. You'll lose about 5 mph on the top end of both 4th & 5th gear. But the real "gain" is when you're in the dirt. You'll finally be able to ride in 2nd gear in the technical stuff, and you won't have to abuse the clutch (as much) anymore. For city streets and speeds under 60 mph, 14-45 is good to go. Any faster and you'll want to go back to 15 in the front.

You won't lose any top speed by going to a 14 tooth front. The XRL can't pull 5th gear stock (it won't fully rev out) and changing to a 14 effectively turns 5th gear into 4th allowing it to reach max RPM. You will affect the gas mileage slightly for long trips because you will be turning more rpms to go 55-65. It will go 100 with 14/45 so it will have no problem cruising at 75 as long as you want...the vibration/noise will be increased though.

I didn't like 13/45 because 1st gear became basically useless for me...too low.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dual_Dog

Posted February 26, 2004 - 12:37 PM

You won't lose any top speed by going to a 14 tooth front. It will go 100 with 14/45 so it will have no problem cruising at 75 as long as you want...the vibration/noise will be increased though.

As long as you want...that I'd like to see. :) I know I wouldn't subject that single to that high of RPM's for any length of time, especially with lower gearing. :D But that's just me. Anyone can abuse their bike any way they like.

• jamesp

Posted February 26, 2004 - 03:41 PM

That's an overly dramatic reply.

It is only 300-400 rpm more. It still runs at 75% of max rpms on the limiter...which is set quite conservatively.

I think his question related to 55-60 mph back roads...not setting the land endurance record. Besides, how many people really care to spend much over two hours on the interstate with the stock seat??

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 26, 2004 - 04:02 PM

Besides, how many people really care to spend much over two hours on the interstate with the stock seat??

Certainly not me.

I like a little bit of pavement mixed in with a lot more dirt. I ride locally (under 55 mph) around my neighborhood. But if I do ride long distances on the boring concrete abyss (better that nothing), I'll switch back to the 15, just for my butt's sake alone.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.