2006 wr450f worth it?

13 replies to this topic
  • Killorbekilled

Posted September 04, 2015 - 03:27 PM

I was buying some oil today and saw a 2006 wr450f for 2500. Bike looked to be in good shape. I was able to get to close it was chained up with bikes all around it. Before I go back and get a closer look Is 06 a good year and is that a good price?

• RockerYZWR

Posted September 04, 2015 - 04:41 PM

2006 was the last year of the steel frame before they went aluminum in '07. Engine and suspension is essentially the same until the 2012 model year. A lot of people love the steel frame bikes, but many who have had both have said how much better the 07-11 WR450s handle compared to the earlier years. I have not ridden an 06-earlier WR, so I don't know personally. I think $2500 would be fair for a very clean and well cared-for/gently used 2006. I got my street-legalized and barely used 2011 WR in spring of '13 for $4100.

Edited by RockerYZWR, September 04, 2015 - 04:41 PM.

• rah7777777

Posted September 10, 2015 - 04:49 PM

I bought my street legal 06 about a year ago for 3100. At the time I couldn't find jack that was street legal on the market within a few hundred miles. And I felt it was a very good deal.
Add about oh, $4k extra and she is perfect for me now haha.

Had to sell my old bike just to do everything I wanted to this bike.

• Ronnie.sensiba

Posted September 18, 2015 - 08:12 AM

The 2006 is the best of the steel frame Wr. What you need to determine is if you prefer steel or aluminum. That's a fair price.

• knuckleduster271

Posted September 18, 2015 - 10:18 AM

I've had both steel and aluminum. I say aluminum all the way. The ergo's feel much better to me and the bike feels alot lighter even though it really isnt by much. The seat is a bit lower also.
The only thing better about the steel frame bike imo is how much easier the carb is to get to compared to the aluminum frame bikes.

• Ronnie.sensiba

Posted September 18, 2015 - 11:17 AM

The 06 steel frame is lighter than the aluminum frame ones. Having the oil in the frame is also nifty because your frame acts as a giant heat sink. As mentioned the steel frames are much easier to work on.

The 05-06 have much better ergos than the 03-04 and a lower center of gravity.

Steel frames are less rigid. The soak up engine vibration and have a bit of flex to them. This is where the preference of steel vs aluminum comes in. There is a reason all ktms are steel frame. Some people don't like the aluminum and it feel "dead" to them because of how rigid it is.

This is all a matter of preference

• Ronnie.sensiba

Posted September 18, 2015 - 11:20 AM

http://www.bikez.com..._450_f_2006.php

Ha ha according to this site the 06 weighs 590 pounds and the Internet is always right! Looks like they lost several hundred pounds going to aluminum.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Summit

Posted September 21, 2015 - 02:34 PM

I'm still on my 05, which is the same as 06 except for the odometer. Just can't kill this thing. It's probably the best piece of equipment I've ever owned as far as performance and reliability in one machine. I also do a lot of snowmobiling and there's always a large price for that much performance. Anyway the 06 is a rock solid bike. If it has been taken care of it should serve well.

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted September 21, 2015 - 03:23 PM

I would say that's a fair price. These are desirable bikes and hold there value pretty well. Just 2 weeks ago I paid $2000 for an 03 WR450 in near excellent condition. I'm loving this bike and can't wait to get it plated!

• tmasWR

Posted September 21, 2015 - 10:24 PM

The 06 steel frame is lighter than the aluminum frame ones.

This right here cracks me up.

I had an '05 WR450, and I loved that bike.  When I went to look at the new bikes back in '13, I was talking with the salesman who was really talking up the new bikes.  I personally agree they are all around nicer to ride, but he kept saying how much lighter the aluminum frame makes the bike.  About 5 minutes of research proved him wrong, '13 is about 25 lbs heavier than an '06.

• bobpara

Posted September 22, 2015 - 12:37 PM

Thats a great price, but it all gets down to condition

If you are buying from a stealer, have them pop the head and shim the valves.....that way you'll be assured of tons of engine life

IF you can be sure they actually do it and IF you can get them to do it cheaply

Otherwise you SHOUD be OK, but somewhere within the next year or two you definitely want to have that done

I paid a couple hundred bucks to have it done....its fairly cheap but an essential part of the 'mid-life' maintainence

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 22, 2015 - 02:25 PM

This right here cracks me up.

I had an '05 WR450, and I loved that bike.  When I went to look at the new bikes back in '13, I was talking with the salesman who was really talking up the new bikes.  I personally agree they are all around nicer to ride, but he kept saying how much lighter the aluminum frame makes the bike.  About 5 minutes of research proved him wrong, '13 is about 25 lbs heavier than an '06.

The allow frame is 3.2 lbs heavier, according to Yamaha.

• Ronnie.sensiba

Posted September 22, 2015 - 04:04 PM

The allow frame is 3.2 lbs heavier, according to Yamaha.

The frame may weigh less but they changed a lot of things around and the final products weighs more. Could have something to do with the oil reservoir. At any rate the aluminum wr450 weighs more at the end of the day.

• Damper

Posted January 07, 2016 - 04:51 AM

I just brought my 06 and ow just tweaking someone else's bad maintenance although this is the bike I'll keep and mod to my style of riding....

I did have the 01 426 which was a machine in it's own right although 5th gear went and wasn't prepared to fix it to have it happen again.... I'm curious as to if the 06 has a stronger box?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.