Which Air Filter for XR650L

9 replies to this topic
  • Bucky

Posted February 25, 2004 - 09:09 AM

Hey guys, I've done searches and seems everyone has their own favorite. I live a mile high+ and need something that flows good but can catch dust as well. Which filter are you "high-desert" guys running? Thanks, Bucky :)

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 25, 2004 - 11:28 AM

Which filter are you "high-desert" guys running?

Well some of us guys that live in "low places" run the Uni-filter. I do and it works really well for most all types of conditions and different elevations. Just gotta maintain it, and make sure you don't squeeze out too much of the filter oil. :)

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted February 25, 2004 - 01:29 PM

I run an uni on mine and twin air is pretty good too their both about the same so It really dont matter which one you get. :)

• MotoChris521

Posted February 25, 2004 - 03:03 PM

I think the Twin-Air is better(smaller pores in the foam)but it doesn't come with the cage.I bought both and use the Uni cage and the Twin-air filter. :)

• jstevens

Posted February 25, 2004 - 03:15 PM

To be honest with you, I went out and got a UNI filter and did the whole oil thing. The only probelm is that I can't tell the difference in the way the bike rides. After the UNI got dirty, I put back in the Factory Filter and again didn't notice any difference.

So I don't know, the only reason I can think of to run a UNI is in wet conditions. If you drop the bike in water or a stream the "Factory" filter will turn to paper mush. Where the oiled UNI wont.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted February 25, 2004 - 03:16 PM

I've been using Uni on the 400 for 5 years and never had any problems so I bought one for the 650 also. :)

• Bucky

Posted February 25, 2004 - 07:52 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. Bucky

• Bucky

Posted February 26, 2004 - 07:55 AM

Does No-toil make a filter for the XR650L? Someone sent me a personal message and recommended this but I can't find it. Anyone know? Bucky

• slip

Posted February 26, 2004 - 03:14 PM

I don't think so, they just make the oil and cleaner. You can use No-Toil on the UNI filter, or any foam filter for that matter.

• POBLondon

Posted March 24, 2004 - 03:36 PM

I use a K&N with Filterskinz. Works great. If the going gets really nasty (like sandstormy) I switch to a Uni. I get noticeably more power with the K&N though.

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.