Mod requirements for an E Series Pipe?

3 replies to this topic
  • ksrider

Posted February 25, 2004 - 05:57 AM

I have a 2003 XR650L that is completely stock. In order for me to install a new E series pipe/muffler do I need to make any modifications for the E series to work? Any rejetting required? If I simply go out and install the E series pipe without doing anything else to the bike, will still run okay without other adjustments or modifications?

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted February 25, 2004 - 06:35 AM

You will definently have to rejet since the factory jetting is lean to begin with. If you try to install the pipe without rejetting it mite make it run worse. Also make sure you get an aftermarket air filter and make sure you remove the airbox snorkel. Not sure what jet sizes you need though since im not an expert. I have an eseries on my bike and it greatly improves the mid to low end power. Hope this helps. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slip

Posted February 25, 2004 - 07:01 AM

Yeah, I agree, you should rejet. Your bike will run sooo much better. Rejetting is not so hard to do, just take your time. Start out with a 55 pilot and a 160 main if your are close to sea level. With the carb mods (jetting, shimming needle, drill out slide), e pipe, UNI filter, your subdued L will turn into a beast! :) Wheelies galore. :D

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 25, 2004 - 06:40 PM

Any rejetting required?

Any airbox, intake or exhaust modifications require rejetting for the extremely lean XRL. It takes some testing & tweaking so don't get discouraged.

I have first hand experience, as xr650lroostnya states, with the bike running worse after doing the airbox mods. Rejetting was absolutely necessary and also some fine tuning of the pilot screw cured the low-to-mid range driveability problems due to the increased air flow to the carb. But it took some time to get it right. :)

The Beast has been unleashed and it runs a whole hell-uva-lot stronger now. :D

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.