Ridden other bikes lately ?

22 replies to this topic
  • ozijake08

Posted September 11, 2015 - 04:48 AM

I brought  2009 WR450 six months ago for 5k from a guy that races in the Australian desert Fink , he has always used yzf450 and currently has a 2015 model , he was setting the WR up for his wife but it never got raced

has only 2300k and came set up with vortex digital igniting, full YZF450 GYTR exhaust pipe , and from what I can gather in the work shop manual he gave me some boffins have been tunning and  jetting the carbie. 

I also have a 2010 DRZ400E that I love a great trail bike , but ill say this the WR with a few mods makes it seem very tame indeed. am 50 now but in my young days I had a RM465 and a husky510 and numerous road bikes over the years

but shit this WR Frightens me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 14, 2015 - 09:52 AM

My problem is that I work at a Yamaha shop, so I'm always thinking I need something new. We have a 2015 YZ250F demo and a 2015 YZ250FX demo. A couple of weeks ago I spent some significant time in the woods on both, being able to switch back to my WR in between loops. I love 100 things about both 250's, but the FX is my favorite. If we would've been at the track the 250F would've been. Both 250's seem to have noticeably less power than my 13' WR450F. With that said, I'm way faster on the FX. It's so much lighter it's like riding a mountain bike. You definitely have to shift more than the WR. The 250F is a dream in the whoops and rutts, but the FX (to me) is way better in tight single track. It's geared for the woods with just a bit taller 1-3 than the 250F. Did I mention how smooth the clutch is on the 250's? Crazy!
If I was going to start over with a new bike, the YZ250FX is my girl.

How big are you ?

I've got my 2012 Wr 450 down to 248 pounds with fuel.  I've got the suspension working fairly well.  It is a pretty decent ride in tight woods.  It seems to be doing really well playing "chase the 2 strokes" in even tight woods conditions.  And it's a champ at hill climbing.  I basically love it.

But my friend, a vet expert, same size as me, swapped bikes with me and says my WR is still "a lot of bike".  He has a 2008 YZ250F set up for woods.  It weighs 231 full of fuel, a full 18 pounds less than my bike.  He says I would be faster on a smaller bike. 

I do really well riding my WR with riders of similar or more ability on their 300cc 2 strokes.  The vet ex racers leave me behind, but it isn't as dramatic as you'd think.  They have way more skill than me, so my WR must be pretty competitive with their bikes ?

I haven't ridden a YZ250FX, but it would have to be the bike I'd get if I were to get another bike.  Knowing what I do from lightening my WR, I'd lighten it up a bit.   The big question I have is would it have enough power ?   People say that WR450Fs have too much power for tight woods riding, but I love mine.   Is there a big bore kit for the YZ250FX ?

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted September 14, 2015 - 05:10 PM

How big are you ?

I've got my 2012 Wr 450 down to 248 pounds with fuel.  I've got the suspension working fairly well.  It is a pretty decent ride in tight woods.  It seems to be doing really well playing "chase the 2 strokes" in even tight woods conditions.  And it's a champ at hill climbing.  I basically love it.

But my friend, a vet expert, same size as me, swapped bikes with me and says my WR is still "a lot of bike".  He has a 2008 YZ250F set up for woods.  It weighs 231 full of fuel, a full 18 pounds less than my bike.  He says I would be faster on a smaller bike. 

I do really well riding my WR with riders of similar or more ability on their 300cc 2 strokes.  The vet ex racers leave me behind, but it isn't as dramatic as you'd think.  They have way more skill than me, so my WR must be pretty competitive with their bikes ?

I haven't ridden a YZ250FX, but it would have to be the bike I'd get if I were to get another bike.  Knowing what I do from lightening my WR, I'd lighten it up a bit.   The big question I have is would it have enough power ?   People say that WR450Fs have too much power for tight woods riding, but I love mine.   Is there a big bore kit for the YZ250FX ?

First off I'm 190 in my shorts.
As for power, yes I think it's enough. Not close to the 450, but enough to be as fast, especially in the woods.
We had this conversation at the shop today because I'm wanting to get a 250 for a track bike. My WR450F allows me to be lazy. Hill climbs are nothing, you can be up a gear or twoand it doesn't care. Just click the throttle and go. The 250's make you work a little, but in the tight stuff they move. The clutch pull on the new 250's is like cheating too. I can pull it with my pinky.
As for building the motor; I haven't looked at all the kits yet, but I wouldn't do anything but a pipe and a new FI map. Love that FX!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.