Ridden other bikes lately ?

22 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 01, 2015 - 11:27 AM

I've been riding my 2012 WR450F for 2 years now.  I really like it.  It feels normal to me.  Sometimes when I ride on a fireroad it feels a little flat or under powered.

On the weekend we came across 2 riders, one on a stock 2013 WR250F, the other on a hopped up 2013 WR250F (FMF pipe, etc).  We started talking.  Talk turns to to bikes.  Bike swaps ensue. 

I ride the stock WR250F.  What the...  ???  The thing feels like a mini bike.  Cracking the throttle yields more noise and absolutely no acceleration.   How do people ride these things ?

I ride the hopped up WR250F.  It's not much better !  I can't believe it.  These bikes are tiny.  And they have no power.

So the one WR rider hops on my bike.  He is self proclaimed 5' 8".  He can't straddle it.   I explain I removed the eStart.   He can't start it.  He can't even really kick it.    I get it going for him.  He can't believe how much power it has and how big it is.  The power has him floored.

I hopped on a Husaberg 390 a few rides ago.  Man did it feel flat.  Not much brap.  Really soft.

I hopped on a 300XC.  I kind of get why people ride them.  You can feel the lightness.  Not sure if I like that or if I like riding the gyro that my WR is.  Throttle response is, well... different.  At least it accelerates.  No way it will pick up the front wheel on command like my WR will though.  I guess that is why they have a clutch.

I think my WR has me totally spoiled for power and fun.  I now get why people think the Yamaha 450Fs are beasts.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 01, 2015 - 11:48 AM

Yes, WR250's have less than half the power of your 450

You should ride my CRF450X or my WR450F, both with AS Racing motors. 

Makes a stock WR450 feel like the 250............

• Andrew Puetz

Posted September 01, 2015 - 04:06 PM

Cool thread.  The WR450 is under the radar in a lot of circles of dirt bikers...  seems like its the dirt bike worlds best kept secret.  I am getting a YZ250X 2 stroke and I am a little hesitant about how it will or will not compare.  I almost bought a 250FX instead.  But I don't think my 450 will be in any threat of abandonment in my riding for a long time.  I always wanted to try that 300XCW but opted for blue instead.

I did ride my Dad's KTM 500EXC.  Good smooth power, easy to handle.  But my WR450 feels like more bike and I feel like I can ride it harder.  And much faster.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 01, 2015 - 04:37 PM

Cool thread.  The WR450 is under the radar in a lot of circles of dirt bikers...  seems like its the dirt bike worlds best kept secret.  I am getting a YZ250X 2 stroke and I am a little hesitant about how it will or will not compare.  I almost bought a 250FX instead.  But I don't think my 450 will be in any threat of abandonment in my riding for a long time.  I always wanted to try that 300XCW but opted for blue instead.

I did ride my Dad's KTM 500EXC.  Good smooth power, easy to handle.  But my WR450 feels like more bike and I feel like I can ride it harder.  And much faster.

what he said exactly

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:06 PM

^^^ +1   :thumbsup:

I am currently looking for my 2T replacement ...gonna probably the YZ250X as well.

• Yz250woodsrider412

Posted September 01, 2015 - 08:10 PM

Rode a 2015 ktm 150 so I'm thinking it's probably a little more power than my 125s ha nope I've had an 07 yz125 and 3 aluminum frame yz250s from 05 to 07 last one blew up sold it bought an 03 really no noticeable difference and the 150 was so disappointing it was either no throttle or all throttle id take a 125 any day over that

• bopper450

Posted September 01, 2015 - 08:28 PM

I love my 12 wr 450 have the must have mods to unleash the power and that's It. It does everything well, I ride with 5 other guys there all orange and within a year or two old, I just don't see the hype. Another buddy bought a 15 yz 450 and wow does that thing have jam! Would walk all over the wr power wise but it just isn't a bike I would buy for the woods

• Summit

Posted September 02, 2015 - 04:48 AM

Rode my friends new 300xcw on a fairly long tight single track trail. Couldn't wait to get my 450 back. Ya it felt a little lighter I guess but different power, I too am spoiled by the power of the 450. Rode a new 500xcw and I liked it except for the fact that he had a rekluse installed and it was all f'd up...slipped like crazy. The more I ride different bikes the more I like my wr. I also think they are way under rated and overlooked. I really don't mind the weight as I try hard to ride it not carry it.

• RMK800

Posted September 02, 2015 - 05:56 AM

Rode my friends new 300xcw on a fairly long tight single track trail. Couldn't wait to get my 450 back. Ya it felt a little lighter I guess but different power, I too am spoiled by the power of the 450. Rode a new 500xcw and I liked it except for the fact that he had a rekluse installed and it was all f'd up...slipped like crazy. The more I ride different bikes the more I like my wr. I also think they are way under rated and overlooked. I really don't mind the weight as I try hard to ride it not carry it.

I just did the same, rode my buddies 300 XC on one of the 50 mile trails we do. I couldn't believe how much arm pump and vibration my legs had. Plus that dang motor... It winds up fast but then it wind down so fast. My buddy is always says about blipping to clutch to get on power... I'm like what is that, now I get it. I prefer my 450 engine braking so much more, I don't have to blip anything.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 02, 2015 - 07:03 AM

I just did the same, rode my buddies 300 XC on one of the 50 mile trails we do. I couldn't believe how much arm pump and vibration my legs had. Plus that dang motor... It winds up fast but then it wind down so fast. My buddy is always says about blipping to clutch to get on power... I'm like what is that, now I get it. I prefer my 450 engine braking so much more, I don't have to blip anything.

This is so true. 

Those 300s vibrate like crazy.  Really impressive how smooth our 450s are.

Its amazing how much 2T riders are doing when I ride behind them.  Constantly working the throttle and clutching.  I'm way smoother on my 450.  Like what is all the drama about riding one of those things ? 

And as soon as we get to mud they are pinning it and spinning like crazy.   My 450F idles through mud.

I think these 450Fs are way under rated, but its a bit of Jeckle and Hyde.  If you don't know how to ride, they will absolutely kill you.  If they aren't set up well, they will kill you.  But if you are fit, strong and big and the bike is set up properly, they are the hot ticket. 

The last few rides I've been less tired than my co riders and I am far from being the most experienced or talented.  People think the 450Fs are too big, powerful and cumbersome for tight woods, but once you adapt and get them set up, they work really well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 02, 2015 - 07:05 AM

I love my 12 wr 450 have the must have mods to unleash the power and that's It. It does everything well, I ride with 5 other guys there all orange and within a year or two old, I just don't see the hype. Another buddy bought a 15 yz 450 and wow does that thing have jam! Would walk all over the wr power wise but it just isn't a bike I would buy for the woods

I agree on all counts, though I'm tempted by the YZ450F.  Will be really interesting to have this discussion about the YZ450FX, if it comes out.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 02, 2015 - 07:08 AM

It's funny that the magazines never arrive at these conclusions.   They fawn over the 300 2Ts all day long and consider the 450s "trail bikes".  Maybe the 450s aren't the perfect race bikes, but they make one heck of a tight woods mount for aggressive pleasure riding.

If only Yamaha could lighten these things by 20 pounds or so...

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 02, 2015 - 07:23 AM

If you had to give up your WR, what would you replace it with ?

For me, I'd consider these bikes - YZ450F, YZ250FX, 350 XCF and CRF450. 

My friend has a Sherco 300 4T.  I haven't ridden it, but he is meh about it.  I hope to ride it soon.  Another guy has a YZ250FX.  I hope to ride it too.  I'll report back when I do.

FYI, the YZ250FX and the WR450F have nearly identical dimensions.  This probably means I could set one up to fit me.  The WR250F is a much smaller bike.  Nearly 2" shorter wheelbase, 57.7" versus 55.9 inches.  Lower too, 50.2 inches versus 48.4 inches.  No wonder they feel like mini bikes.

The one thing I'd like my WR to have that it doesn't is on the fly selectable maps.  And a slightly larger fuel tank.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 02, 2015 - 07:26 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 02, 2015 - 07:37 AM

Duplicate post.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 02, 2015 - 07:37 AM.

• simica

Posted September 02, 2015 - 04:17 PM

This is a good thread, I have wanted to express my opinion for many years so here goes. I have been a WR rider since 1995, but I have ridden all brands of dirt bikes, 2T and 4T. I have owned two 2T WR250's, a 2005 WR 450 and now a 2014 WR450, and I have always felt that WR's are under rated. I loved my 2005. I raced/rode that thing hard for almost ten years and it still had the original piston in it. I never once had a motor break down of any kind. I am tired of the pro orange publications. I subscribe to the top two, but have stacks of them that I haven't read because a KTM is always on the cover and I know there will be no less than three orange articles inside. I have a lot of race videos on youtube (search simi05wr) and you can hear the sound of squeaky brakes coming from an orange bike either in front of me or behind me.

Now living in Colorado, my 2014 is dual sported and I love it. I have spent a lot of time on a 2014 KTM 500 EXC in California and except for cornering, I'll take my WR any day. The KTM's seat is super hard, the bike would develop a high speed wobble on pavement anything over 55 mph, and ran hot on basic single track trails even with a fan. None of these issues with the WR with no cooling fan. My friends that have KTM's say that their bikes are more expensive, but come with all the upgrades. Then how come all these articles in mags talk about modifying this and that?

Thanks for letting me vent! WR rider forever!

Edited by simica, September 02, 2015 - 04:21 PM.

• RockerYZWR

Posted September 02, 2015 - 05:31 PM

I prefer my YZ250 2 stroke over my WR450 in every way possible. But my WR is plated and allows me to ride in places I can't legally ride the YZ (including miles of trails right from my garage). But dirt bike vs. dirt bike, it's no contest. YZ does everything better, both in the desert and the woods. Then again, if the WR was way (about 45 lbs) lighter, turned like my YZ, and had the same suspension work, it might be a tougher choice. But I still appreciate the WR for what it is. And the more I ride the WR, the better I get on the YZ.

• woods-rider

Posted September 04, 2015 - 10:40 AM

The one thing I'd like my WR to have that it doesn't is on the fly selectable maps.

This is something I would love to have too. One map for the gnar single track that focuses on traction, another more aggressive map that's for more open quad type trails.

Edited by woods-rider, September 04, 2015 - 10:40 AM.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted September 05, 2015 - 04:08 PM

My problem is that I work at a Yamaha shop, so I'm always thinking I need something new. We have a 2015 YZ250F demo and a 2015 YZ250FX demo. A couple of weeks ago I spent some significant time in the woods on both, being able to switch back to my WR in between loops. I love 100 things about both 250's, but the FX is my favorite. If we would've been at the track the 250F would've been. Both 250's seem to have noticeably less power than my 13' WR450F. With that said, I'm way faster on the FX. It's so much lighter it's like riding a mountain bike. You definitely have to shift more than the WR. The 250F is a dream in the whoops and rutts, but the FX (to me) is way better in tight single track. It's geared for the woods with just a bit taller 1-3 than the 250F. Did I mention how smooth the clutch is on the 250's? Crazy!
If I was going to start over with a new bike, the YZ250FX is my girl.

• Navaho6

Posted September 08, 2015 - 04:41 PM

I've had two WR450's, an '06 and a '13.  Had a 300 EXC, too.  The 300 was fun but vibrations were too much for my forearms.  I developed carpal tunnel on the 300.  I'm on a '09 YZ450 now that's been modified for woods, and I love it.  Best bike yet.  I rode a 250FX earlier this year and was very impressed with it but would not trade it for my YZ450.

• adam500

Posted September 08, 2015 - 05:26 PM

I really like my 03 WR but I would love to try out Beta's 2016 300RR.

But I'm a 2T guy at heart.

I would like to try a newer WR or a CRFX at some point. My 03 does everything I ask it to but its a barge in the tight stuff compared to ANY size 2T I've owned.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.