What kind of oil do you run?

16 replies to this topic
  • PismoRat

Posted February 24, 2004 - 10:17 PM

Just a curious question. I currently run Vavoline 30W in my XR642, anything you find to work better? :)

• TimBrp

Posted February 25, 2004 - 02:50 AM

Spectro 10w40 Petroleum/Synthetic blend. Best of both worlds...

• Naru

Posted February 25, 2004 - 08:05 AM

Mobil 1 Synthetic 20/50 Red Cap in XR650R and CRF450. Works excellent.

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 25, 2004 - 11:33 AM

Mobil 1 15W-50 "red cap" bay-bee. Little pricey, but worth it if you ride hard like I do. I've even found it at Tarh-zhey for $4.75/qt. :)

• cat0020

Posted February 25, 2004 - 01:13 PM

I run Mobil 1 Red Cap in most of my vehicles, three cars and my BMW Boxer engine which has a dry clutch.
I have been hesitant to use the Mobil 1 Red Cap in the XR 650R engine and KTM LC4 engine.. I wonder if the XR650R engine has a dry clutch as well? I've heard of Mobil 1 not compatible with wet clutch.
:) :D :D

Mobil 1 Synthetic 20/50 Red Cap in XR650R and CRF450. Works excellent.

• qadsan

Posted February 25, 2004 - 06:53 PM

I've been using Chevron Delo 400 15W40 for many years with good results in various bikes and for the last two years in my XR650R with good result, but I recently switched to Mobil Delvac 1, 5W40.

• fourstrokin650

Posted February 25, 2004 - 07:33 PM

Valvoline 20w-50 motorcycle oil.

• xrbrp

Posted February 25, 2004 - 10:33 PM

Honda 20-50, or 10-40 depending on temp.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted February 25, 2004 - 11:44 PM

I use Honda GN4.

• Big_D

Posted February 26, 2004 - 12:30 AM

Mobil 1 15W-50 "Red Cap"

Stupid Wally World (Super Wal-Mart) sells 5 Qt jugs for $23 which is only $4.60/qt.

I have read several oil analysis articles and the main problem with wet clutches is haveing Molybednum (sp?) as a "friction modifier", and all of the Mobil 1 products that I have seen test results had low levels of Moly. It is also good to avoid oils lables with the "Energy Conserving" stamp because they have higher levels of friction modifiers and Moly is only one of many.

My $.02 on Mobil 1 and a wet clutch...Clutch plates are cheaper than engine rebuilds! :) :D :D

• qadsan

Posted February 26, 2004 - 07:02 AM

I too have seen Moly in various virgin Mobil product analysis, but it's usually trace amounts that are negligible and it may not even be in a solid form of MOS2 when added to the oil, which is the type of Moly you would prefer not have in your oil. I still believe you can make an oil with Moly that will be friendly to wet clutches as long as the right type of Moly is used in the right porportions, which would then allow you to benefit from its extremely effective AW/FM (Anti-Wear / Friction Modification) properties. Even Mobil's MX4T motorcycle oil contains a tiny bit of Moly in it from what I've seen (~5 PPM), but its probably not enough to cause any harm. There are a few other 4 stroke dino and synthetic oils out there that contain significantly larger quantities of moly which are being used successfully in motorcycles with wet clutches. The moly that most people have heard bad things about and the moly that's particularly a concern for wet clutches is the powder types that are held in suspension such as Molybdenum Disulphide (MoS2/MoS3). Molybdenum Tricarbomate (MoTDC) on the other hand is a solution and there a big difference between "suspension" and a "solution" types. Molybdenum Tricarbomate that is currently used in some oils as friction and anti-wear modifiers DOES NOT settle out and oxidize like the MOS2 we've all been familiar with for many years. MoDTC stays in solution until it reacts with the sulphonates of the detergents and then forms a MOS2 or MOS3 (organometallic) film on the metal which acts as a barrier lubricant. ZDDP does the same thing, except it forms a zinc sulfate or zinc phosphate film, but MoTDC is a fantastic when used correctly.

• beer_studd_76

Posted February 26, 2004 - 07:30 AM

delo400 15w-40. i run it in the gear box of my two stroke too.

jeremiah

• nonferrousdude

Posted February 26, 2004 - 02:15 PM

Qadsan, you use Mobile Delvac 1. But isn't that especially formulated for diesel engines? Any insight appreciated.

• beer_studd_76

Posted February 26, 2004 - 06:00 PM

yeah, so is delo400 15w40. they're very heavy duty oils and they work in a broad range of temperatures.

what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

jeremiah

• ryster

Posted February 26, 2004 - 07:27 PM

Golden Spectro 10- 40

• qadsan

Posted February 27, 2004 - 09:17 AM

But isn't that especially formulated for diesel engines?

Mobil Delvac 1 is a great oil for diesel engines, but it's not just for diesels. It's a commercial grade heavy duty mixed fleet motor oil, which means it can be used in both gas & diesel engines just like Chevron Delo 400 or Shell Rotella, etc. While these oils aren't designed specifically for motorcycles, they are much closer to a motorcycle specific oil than todays passenger casr oils and some of these oils are in fact better than some motorcycle specific oils. You're always going to be safe with a motorcycle specific oil where as you'll only 'probably' be safe with most heavy duty motor oils, so you have be a more careful in choosing a heavy duty motor oil that will work well inside your bike, but there's many good heavy duty motor oils to choose from. There are no 'bad' types of friction modifiers in mixed fleet heavy duty motor oils in the market today and they are formulated with stout anti wear additives, better base oils to last longer in harsher environments and are designed specifically for high temperature high shear operation just like a motorcycle specific oil. In fact, JASO, the orginazation which provides the standards for motorcycle oil actually calls out for a diesel injector to be used in their shear stability & viscosity test methods under the JASO JPI-5S-29-88 or ASTM D6278 specifications. Diesel engines are more demanding of oils than passenger car oils and while improved mileage is always nice with a good oil, heavy duty motor oils are formulated for a specific purpose as opposed to many of todays passenger car oils which are optimized for CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) & that's where the use of certain types & quantities of friction modifiers come in. You just can't have your cake and eat it to when it comes to motor oil and that's true with most things when you're trying to squeeze out that extra inch of performance whethers its horsepower, miles per gallon, paint, ice cream, cake, pizza, beer, etc.

Now, back to the oil in question. Mobil Delvac 1 has just a bit less boron, a bit less calcium, a bit less magnesium, a bit less phosphorus, and a bit less zinc in it, but the viscosity is slightly higher and so is the total base number. If you're ever curious as to what's inside a motor oil, you can simply send a sample to a lab and they'll give you a complete breakdown of what's inside, all for about $25 to $70 depending on how much you want to know. You can learn a great deal about the additive package being used and get some hints about the base oil being used, but you'll know the whole truth about an oil unless you've got all the chemistry from the inside and very few people have access to that info. Oil analysis is a great tool, but it doesn't tell all. It does however tell you how well your oil is holding up in a given application, wear performance, etc, among other things and regular analysis can help spot trends which can be valuable, especially for fleet operations. I'm not suggesting that everybody run out and get their oil analyzed, but its a good way of making sure the oil you're using is doing its job and I'm confident about Mobil Delvac 1 doing a fine in my XR650R so far.

The most important thing with any good oil in our 'off road' application is to change it often enough per the manufactrurers specifications because dirt is our number one enemy.

• jstevens

Posted February 27, 2004 - 04:25 PM

Honda GNC-4

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.