2013 WR 450 - faulty electronics? Orange light flash bike dies...

12 replies to this topic
  • Rodolfo Castro

Posted August 30, 2015 - 02:26 PM

Dear friends, live in Brasil and own a WR450 13 since new when It was incredible lean and unable to ride. as the WR ECU is locked for tunning i bought a YZ450 ECU and a Yamaha  FI Tuner tool. After adjusting the maps the bike was great and we are leaving very happy a couple of months ago when she is dying on me for no reason.

Orange light flashes and it dies. Turn off and on starts ok and then orange flash and dies...sometimes it does it for 8 times and suddenly it rides without any problem until new orange light flashing and dies again...

Tested the lean angle sensor and its working ok but understand that the YZ ECU does not have this function and leaning the bike does not make any difference.

Have no support from Yamaha shops here so im willing to buy the yamaha diagnostic tool in order to find out what is the problem with my bike.

Any tips on above symptoms?? Any tips on where to buy the Diagnostic tool.

Many thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 30, 2015 - 07:01 PM

You cannot use a YZ ECU on a WR. It's a different harness.

You have to use a GYTR WR ECU.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 31, 2015 - 10:56 AM

The lean angle sensor is built into the YZ ECU.   What orientation is it on the YZ and how do you have it installed on the WR ?

Please tell me more about how you adapted the YZ ECU onto the WR.

• Rodolfo Castro

Posted August 31, 2015 - 06:22 PM

See here what happens:

• Rodolfo Castro

Posted August 31, 2015 - 06:35 PM

I have the GYTR FI Tunner but the original ECU would not allow any access. So i bought another ECU which was supposed to be from an YZ that allowed me to access and change map settings. Bike was running great for a couple of years until now....tried to buy the diagnostic tool from CMSNL.COM but they dont ship it to Brazil, will try another source.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 01, 2015 - 10:33 AM

I have the GYTR FI Tunner but the original ECU would not allow any access. So i bought another ECU which was supposed to be from an YZ that allowed me to access and change map settings. Bike was running great for a couple of years until now....tried to buy the diagnostic tool from CMSNL.COM but they dont ship it to Brazil, will try another source.

The ECUs from the YZ don't connect to the WR harness.   If the "YZ" ECU was a direct slip in, it wasn't a YZ ECU.  It was a WR race ECU.

There are 2 tools for these bikes.   The GYTR programmer, which allows one to change maps and do limited troubleshooting and the FI Tool, which allows one to set the idle mixture (C1 parameter) and full access to error codes.  It sounds like you need the FI Tool.

The FI tool lists error messages.   This stuff is fairly easy to troubleshoot with it.  However, you can also get simple error messages by counting the flashes.  See your shop manual for more info.

I'm almost certain you have a lean angle sensor problem.  I don't think there is any other issue where the bike will reliably start and run for a few seconds and then shut itself down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted September 01, 2015 - 11:58 AM

Temp sensor

Lean sensor

Map sensor

Bad TPS harness or filiment

Bad ECU

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 01, 2015 - 12:07 PM

Temp sensor

Lean sensor

Map sensor

Bad TPS harness or filiment

Bad ECU

Temp sensor <- Goes into limp mode.   Doesn't shut the bike down.

Map sensor <- Mixture will be off so much it probably won't start.  Or it will run poorly.   Won't shut down repeatedly.  Will have other symptoms.

Bad TPS harness or filiment <- Will idle properly, won't die.  Won't accelerate properly.  Air/fuel mixture goes out of whack when throttle is opened.

Bad ECU <-  Fails test when turned on.  Bike won't start.

See the troubleshooting charts in the shop manual for more details on each of these.

Lean sensor <- The bike will repeatedly start and then shut down.

Bad fuel pump might cause something similar but the shut down won't be crisp.

• Rodolfo Castro

Posted September 01, 2015 - 12:19 PM

I have the GYTR programmer and im buying the FI Tool in order to have full access to error codes.

Sorry for my miistake, i have not placed a YX ECU but a Competition ECU kit provided by GYTR 1DX-H59C0-V0-00 the same fitted on a friends bike which is running without problem.

Have checked the lean angle and the readings are as per manual, nevertheless i put the bike on its side and the engine doesnt stop working??!!

Anyhow, it seems that i have 2 flashes on the light.

Will wait for the FI tool to arrive and keep you posted, meantime cannot go to the trails as sometimes it works fine for hours but suddenly...

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 01, 2015 - 01:16 PM

nevertheless i put the bike on its side and the engine doesnt stop working??!!

So if you stand the bike up normally, it quits ?   And if you lean it over, it doesn't quit ?  Did your lean angle sensor come unmounted ?

Be careful running the engine with the bike leaned over.  It may starve of oil.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 01, 2015 - 01:21 PM

The fault code of the problem appears in the LCD after it has stopped.   See page 9-27 of your owners manual.  What code do you see ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 01, 2015 - 01:21 PM.

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted September 01, 2015 - 01:38 PM

The WR competition ECU is pretty cheap. Could be an easy solution to your problem.

• tomerb

Posted September 01, 2015 - 05:15 PM

After it dies before you turn the power button off shoot some starting fluid it the air box to see if it will start. If it starts then you'll know its a fuel problem. You could try swapping parts with your buddy's bike..........

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.