04 YZ450F connecting rod seize

3 replies to this topic
  • project yz

Posted August 28, 2015 - 03:57 PM

I recently picked up a 04 YZ450f that has a seized con rod. The crank can still move but the con rod wont rotate. I'm wondering what could have caused this I've been thinking oil starvation was the problem and want to redo the bottom end right and make sure it is completely clean of dirt/debris. 

My question is what should i really look for to replace and how can I flush the oil system in the frame of dirt/debris because i found one of the oil lines coming from the engine to the frame to be damaged and had alot of dirt around it. Is there a way I could dump some diesel through the frame oil system to clean it out?

any insight is greatly appreciated, I'm a bit new to the Yamaha 4 strokes 

• project yz

Posted August 28, 2015 - 04:01 PM

Also what tools are necessary for taking the bottom end apart? I ordered a flywheel puller and clutch holder tool. Could I do it without air tools? My air compressor is not big enough to run a air gun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2015 - 08:11 AM

It's a lot more fun with an air impact, but I don't use one for too many things out side of the clutch boss and output shaft.  

Download a manual from the two links near the bottom of the second post in the Common Threads pinned topic.  

You can maneuver around most of the special tools needed to replace the crank, although the crank installer might become necessary.  The usual cause of rod bearing seizure in '03 and early '04 YZ450's is a failed rod bearing roller cage.  The bearing wears, the cage cracks, and the rollers skew out of line and jam the rod.  If they skid too much when that happens, they seize. 

While you're doing the engine, look over the oil pump, and be sure to replace the oil seal in the right crankcase cover that slips over the end of the crank.  Note the way the seal is installed before removing it. 

• project yz

Posted September 03, 2015 - 02:44 PM

I've ran into a problem... the stator torx bolts are extremely tight and I can't get them loose no matter what I've tried, also tried easy out on them and just made more of a mess.il. Is there some trick somebody knows to get them loose?

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.