Really poor fuel economy/range. FI WRs and YZ450s.

25 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted September 01, 2015 - 05:48 AM

2012 WR here and mine is not much better.  Most all desert riding and it does not seem to matter that much what map I run.  Stock tank usually gets me about 31-35 miles before the low fuel light comes on.  I seem to have about another half gallon after that.  So yes, it's pretty crappy mileage and that's just goofing around with my 14 year old son, although we do get into some soft washes at times, although most of the riding is on harder pack.  The power is crazy fun, but there is a price to pay.

On/off on/off power at low speed is almost as bad as wide open throttle, when it comes to mileage, especially if you are in a low gear.

20mpg min to 30mpg will be your typical mileage experience..........unless you concentrate on mileage alone, when riding..............which could get you upt to 35 mpg.....but no fun riding that way.

Your 'low fuel light' is not a gauge. It lights up when your fuel sloshes over the sensor and senses air, a couple of times.

It could mean 1 gal, it could mean .2 gal remaining.

Use your ODOMETER to measure remaining fuel in MILES not gallons.

Run the bike empty, with some spare gas on board, if you really want to know your range.

No other way to know.

You cannot know how much fuel you have left without measuring it.

Industry wide, the average off road fuel mileage is considered 30-35 mpg. That includes mostly 250cc TTR type motorcycles.

Take that same bike on the street, and the mpg will nearly double.

An AMA pro 450cc rider will get about 11mpg

A stock Honda XR650L will get 75mpg on the street.

Edited by KRANNIE, September 01, 2015 - 05:48 AM.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:22 AM

On/off on/off power at low speed is almost as bad as wide open throttle, when it comes to mileage, especially if you are in a low gear.

20mpg min to 30mpg will be your typical mileage experience..........unless you concentrate on mileage alone, when riding..............which could get you upt to 35 mpg.....but no fun riding that way.

Your 'low fuel light' is not a gauge. It lights up when your fuel sloshes over the sensor and senses air, a couple of times.

It could mean 1 gal, it could mean .2 gal remaining.

Use your ODOMETER to measure remaining fuel in MILES not gallons.

Run the bike empty, with some spare gas on board, if you really want to know your range.

No other way to know.

You cannot know how much fuel you have left without measuring it.

Industry wide, the average off road fuel mileage is considered 30-35 mpg. That includes mostly 250cc TTR type motorcycles.

Take that same bike on the street, and the mpg will nearly double.

An AMA pro 450cc rider will get about 11mpg

A stock Honda XR650L will get 75mpg on the street.

All good points, especially about the sensor and the stop and go stuff.  I do measure the fuel though.  I base my calculation from the mileage on the odometer divided by the fuel I add the next time.  Of course that is measuring at the pump, but it should be close enough for our purposes.  I would rather have fun than try and conserve fuel for better mileage, but I also ride in Baja and even with a larger tank, I'm just not going to get close to the range I had on my '08 WR. 

Still, this engine with F.I. is so much better (for me) than the carbed '08 version of the same engine. 

• stevethe

Posted September 02, 2015 - 06:52 AM

All good points, especially about the sensor and the stop and go stuff.  I do measure the fuel though.  I base my calculation from the mileage on the odometer divided by the fuel I add the next time.  Of course that is measuring at the pump, but it should be close enough for our purposes.  I would rather have fun than try and conserve fuel for better mileage, but I also ride in Baja and even with a larger tank, I'm just not going to get close to the range I had on my '08 WR. 

Still, this engine with F.I. is so much better (for me) than the carbed '08 version of the same engine. 

When you say your not going to get the range you had on the carbed bike is that due to a smaller capacity. Are you running the stock tank or a IMS oversized. All the fuel injected bikes I've seen get better mileage than a carbed bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted September 02, 2015 - 08:43 AM

When you say your not going to get the range you had on the carbed bike is that due to a smaller capacity. Are you running the stock tank or a IMS oversized. All the fuel injected bikes I've seen get better mileage than a carbed bike.

I am getting about the same mileage in my '12 that I did on my '06. I had a 3.3 gal tank on my '06 and could go about 110 miles if I used reserve also. My 3gal tank on my '12 can get me about 90 miles using all of the gas.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 02, 2015 - 08:46 AM

On my '08 I had first the IMS 3.1 and then the Clarke 3.6 (that extra half gallon was gold in baja).  Right now I have the stock tank on the '12, but thinking about the 4 gal Clarke as opposed to the 3.2 gal IMS.  Based on my experience so far, I'm thinking with this bike the 4.0 Clarke still may not give me the range the 3.6 had on my '08.  Just like the '08, the '12 is stock with the exception of and FMF slip on and the usual uncorking mods.  Still playing with maps, but I really don't want to go any leaner than stock.  

To answer your question, right now I'm just going off miles ridden divided by how much gas I put back in the stock tank to top it off again.  Although the '08 was not great, I was getting around 30-35 mpg and this one is well under 30. 

• chu

Posted September 02, 2015 - 10:04 AM

Bumping the timing up a little might help.  If it makes a little more torque you could give it a little less throttle.  I would assume all the published maps have a little safety margin built in.  Just assuming though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.