Trying to Register 2014 WR450

11 replies to this topic
  • Reedrobs

Posted August 25, 2015 - 01:07 PM

So before I actually bought my '14 wr450, I was a bit over confident from the many forums, videos, and listings I've seen on craigslist that clearly proved it was possible to register and plate this bike.

I now regret my half-ass assumption because when I finally obtained all the necessary paperwork, insurance, and the hardware to make it legal (hi/low beam, mirror, horn, etc..) and not to mention having

to wait FOREVER in line at the tax office, I was only to be turned down by the lady behind the counter. She simply asked for the VIN, typed in in the computer, and a message popped up saying for "offraod use only" or some bullshit.

She was a little unsure and tried again hoping it might miraculously work this time... After receiving the same message, she went to the back to try to find another employee who could assist. A man then walked up, looked at the message and basically said it couldn't be registered, even though I kept trying to convince them otherwise. I soon gave up as I realized they weren't going to help me out.

So naturally, I walked away feeling like absolute shit. I don't know if the laws recently changed or what, but I wasn't sure what the &%$#@! I was going to do then. I thought about going to another tax office, but still haven't yet.

Also i forgot to mention I'm in Texas.

Anyways, if anyone has some advice on this I would be more than grateful.

Brap

Edited by Reedrobs, August 25, 2015 - 01:16 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 25, 2015 - 02:16 PM

Every state is different.

Hell, in CA, every county is different........

• tmasWR

Posted August 25, 2015 - 02:58 PM

I had a similar thing happen to me, except she just told me I couldn't register it because it wasn't built with a non-resettable odometer.  I walked to the back of the line and was helped by a different lady the second time.  She handed me a form that signed away my odometer "actual miles" rights and handed me a license place :)  Might just try a different office or different clerk!

• avlisj

Posted August 25, 2015 - 06:47 PM

I registered mine in california. I had to do a DUAL registration. Paying both fees. For some reason you cant street legal an off road bike but if You put all the street legal stuff and get signed off you can dual reg it. You get green sticker and plate. Try that.

• 2Speed

Posted August 26, 2015 - 11:22 AM

I plated my '08 WR450F last year in Dallas county. It was a lot of work, but I got it done. Here's the procedure I took:

1, Installed the dual sport kit in order to make it street legal. I bought the Tusk kit from Rocky Mountain, and it works great

2. Added the bike to my auto policy

3. Took the bike and got it inspected. This was the hardest part because it had never been inspected before, and wasn't in the system at the local Mobil 1 inspection station. The old guy that was doing the inspection was really confused because he couldn't find a GVWR on the title or the bike. I finally convinced him to just make one up. I suggested 300# . I think he put 500#. OK, whatever, it passed inspection.  And that was without DOT tires. They didn't even look.

Now off to the tax office.

3. I re-titled the bike with form U-130 found here: http://txdmv.gov/mot...ts/new-to-texas.  I told the clerk what I was doing, and she acted like she had done that type of transaction before. I handed her my proof of insurance, the inspection report and the filled out form U-130.  She typed for a minute then headed to the back. She returned with a temporary title and the registration sticker and license plate. I wrote her a check and that was it!

The new title comes in the mail in a couple of weeks. It does not have the OFF HIGHWAY USE ONLY notation on it, so you can sell it as a street legal vehicle.

Then you install the plate, grip it 'n rip it!

• Reedrobs

Posted August 31, 2015 - 11:36 AM

I plated my '08 WR450F last year in Dallas county. It was a lot of work, but I got it done. Here's the procedure I took:

1, Installed the dual sport kit in order to make it street legal. I bought the Tusk kit from Rocky Mountain, and it works great

2. Added the bike to my auto policy

3. Took the bike and got it inspected. This was the hardest part because it had never been inspected before, and wasn't in the system at the local Mobil 1 inspection station. The old guy that was doing the inspection was really confused because he couldn't find a GVWR on the title or the bike. I finally convinced him to just make one up. I suggested 300# . I think he put 500#. OK, whatever, it passed inspection.  And that was without DOT tires. They didn't even look.

Now off to the tax office.

3. I re-titled the bike with form U-130 found here: http://txdmv.gov/mot...ts/new-to-texas.  I told the clerk what I was doing, and she acted like she had done that type of transaction before. I handed her my proof of insurance, the inspection report and the filled out form U-130.  She typed for a minute then headed to the back. She returned with a temporary title and the registration sticker and license plate. I wrote her a check and that was it!

The new title comes in the mail in a couple of weeks. It does not have the OFF HIGHWAY USE ONLY notation on it, so you can sell it as a street legal vehicle.

Then you install the plate, grip it 'n rip it!

OK. So I went to another tax office today and didn't get the plate, but got a little more info. So I have everything (insepection, insurance, 130-U, and the VTR form they gave me to transfer to legal) And had what I THOUGHT was a copy of the title from my leinholder, since I am financing it. But the supervisor at the office said that the leinholder (Syncrony Bank) would have to send the title copy to the tax office themselves. She stated I had everything needed except the title transfer from the bank itself to them directly. So apparently the title copy the bank sent to me would not work. ANYWAYS....

I guess it makes things a little more difficult when you are financing it rather than owning it with the title in your name. I think I've heard this too before, NOW I KNOW WHY.

But I feel confident the bank should be able to send them that without a hitch, and I should be good to go!

I guess the moral of this forum is that, "sometimes, it all just depends on who's behind the desk."

So keep bugging them until they tell you what you want to hear.

Thanks again for all the info!

Edited by Reedrobs, August 31, 2015 - 12:39 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Michael-0202

Posted August 31, 2015 - 08:27 PM

I should be able to register just fine in Nebraska right ?

• Reedrobs

Posted August 31, 2015 - 09:39 PM

I think the same rules apply, so yes and good luck.

• toten

Posted September 01, 2015 - 05:39 AM

Every state is different.

Hell, in CA, every county is different........

I hadn't heard that before, what counties are better than others for this?

I registered mine in california. I had to do a DUAL registration. Paying both fees. For some reason you cant street legal an off road bike but if You put all the street legal stuff and get signed off you can dual reg it. You get green sticker and plate. Try that.

I don't think you have to dual register. My 03 WR450 is street legal ONLY, no sticker... and I don't see much point of getting a red sticker for it.

• SilvFx

Posted September 01, 2015 - 09:09 AM

Michael....as Krannie said every state is different.  You need to check with your titling/licensing authority in Nebraska (here in Colorado, our County Clerks handle the titling and licensing of vehicles).  Colorado makes it easy to convert or plate a dirt bike as long as you meet the requirements.  Just recently found out that Wyoming makes it impossible to convert a dirt bike (surprises me since I figured they would lenient like Colorado.  Utah is similar to Colorado but they require directional signals.

Nebraska....no idea....don't assume you can do it.  Investigate the process and then double check what you are being told for whatever various bureaucratic hitches in the process....because even in Colorado there are some of those that are seemingly insurmountable if you don't follow the process to a 'T'.

• offrd beatr

Posted September 02, 2015 - 04:08 PM

Idaho will register open class 2 strokes for street use. Your places of residence have too many stupid rules.

• simica

Posted September 02, 2015 - 04:35 PM

Yes all states, and maybe counties are different. In Colorado I have my WR registered for both off-road and street. The dealership installed all the required equipment except turn signals(not required in Co), got insurance, had it inspected at Sheriff's office, and DMV office said here is your plate!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.