2011 yz450f clutch question

9 replies to this topic
  • 2strokekenny

Posted August 24, 2015 - 08:42 AM

I have bought a yz450f now when i got it there was a rekluse clutch allready installed. I want to switch back to a stock clutch what all will i need to replace to do so..?

• Monk

Posted August 24, 2015 - 08:51 AM

Which Rekluse?

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2015 - 10:33 AM

If it is the EXP 3.0 (clutch looks almost stock), it's a simple matter of removing the EXP ring and replacing the missing plates.

If it is a Z-Start Pro (steel pressure plate with 12 small screws and 24-27 steel balls), you need an OEM clutch boss (hub), a full set of OEM steel plates, an OEM or aftermarket pressure plate, a set of springs, and a set of spring bolts.

If it is the Core EXP, it's a complete clutch, and you'll need a complete OEM clutch to replace it with.  On the other hand, you should be able to sell the complete Core EXP for $5-600, or the Z-Start for $250-350.

• 2strokekenny

Posted August 25, 2015 - 06:56 AM

Yes i went ahead and ordered a whole oem clutch kit so either way it should be good. Lol and thanks

• Monk

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:01 AM

Yes i went ahead and ordered a whole oem clutch kit so either way it should be good. Lol and thanks

What do you mean whole OEM clutch kit? Are saying pressure plate, basket, clutch components etc etc? Do you look at a full Hinson unit? Far superior in all aspects...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2strokekenny

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:02 AM

I got the whole kit (stock) everything basket plates springs and i looked at hinson they was charging 899$ for theres

• Monk

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:03 AM

I got the whole kit (stock) everything basket plates springs and i looked at hinson they was charging 899$ for theres

Even though the cost is more, the Hinson is a better unit...

• 2strokekenny

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:04 AM

Yea maybe but id rather have stock for 235$ then hinson for 899$ lol

• Monk

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:27 AM

Yea maybe but id rather have stock for 235$ then hinson for 899$ lol

Wow, that difference in price? That's crazy...

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:54 AM

Some of the Hinson stuff is frankly not worth using unless you're dealing with a Grand National half miler or something.  The boss in particular is $280 vs. $90 for the OEM boss.  Yes, it's more durable, but still...

OTOH, the Hinson basket will outlast two stock ones fairly easily, and because it reuses the primary driven gear assembly, it costs less.  Hinson springs are usually just unnecessary.  Hinson plates are among the few that are at least equal to OEM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.