06 WR450 - IMF tank + Power Core Exhaust = melted tank?

11 replies to this topic
  • stevets

Posted August 23, 2015 - 12:18 PM

I was all excited to install my New 3.3 gallon tank but when i put it in place, there is less than 1 inch between the tank bottom and the "bomb" on my FMF header. I've already had to wrap a portion of the exhaust near the number plate because of heat issues and so attempted to do so on the "bomb". Well, good luck wrapping flat tape around a bulbous bomb! It just can't work.

I've read a few comments about melting tanks and whatnot and wonder if I'm being too careful. Is the tank plastic more heat tolerant than the number plate plastic? Any suggestions?

BTW - I went with the IMF tank because I wanted a larger tank in black and they are the only ones.

• still2smokin

Posted August 23, 2015 - 12:54 PM

Get rid of that IMS tank .  IMHO its a time bomb .

I had one and it caused the bike to over heat and the gas to  boil .

If you do a search you will also find tales of them catching fire .

A lot of them have to do with a second petcock on the right side melting

from being to close to the header .

Besides the fact that it restricts air flow , mine actually touched the valve cover

and would eventually boil the fuel inside .  I tried heat shielding it but nothing helped .

20140203_192816_zpsdc2c6deb.jpg

http://www.thumperta...g#entry12260646

https://youtu.be/IJkixYtPehY

The Acerbis version is much better although it does carry the gas higher on the bike .

It now runs cooler and I don't have to worry about my balls catching fire . It did come

with a second fuel outlet on the right side but I blocked it off just incase .

20150823_141838_zpsgbid5s96.jpg

Edited by still2smokin, August 23, 2015 - 01:23 PM.

• still2smokin

Posted August 23, 2015 - 12:57 PM

I was all excited to install my New 3.3 gallon tank but when i put it in place, there is less than 1 inch between the tank bottom and the "bomb" on my FMF header. I've already had to wrap a portion of the exhaust near the number plate because of heat issues and so attempted to do so on the "bomb". Well, good luck wrapping flat tape around a bulbous bomb! It just can't work.

I've read a few comments about melting tanks and whatnot and wonder if I'm being too careful. Is the tank plastic more heat tolerant than the number plate plastic? Any suggestions?

BTW - I went with the IMF tank because I wanted a larger tank in black and they are the only ones.

Oh and if memory serves the IMS is 3.1 and Acerbis is 3.3 .

20150224_170601_zpsvoarco3c.jpg

Edited by still2smokin, August 23, 2015 - 01:06 PM.

• condor74

Posted August 23, 2015 - 02:02 PM

I have an IMS tank on my 2006 WR450 and have no issue with it.  I wrap my header with heat shielding material.  I am running a stock header though.  I bought my tank used and it had 2 fittings at the bottom of the tank that connected the 2 saddles of the tank.  I removed them as the newer IMS tanks no longer have them.   When the tank is full the fuel in tank cools the tank and prevents the exhaust from melting the plastic.  By leaving the saddle of the tank full I still get fuel splashing to the other side and I dont run the risk of burning the bike to the ground.  I have never ran out of fuel with the bike but if I did, I would just have to lean the bike over to get the fuel to the left side and restart it.  I am riding conservatively at that point anyway looking for fuel.  It has been a non issue for me.  I have also read where one of the major problems people have had is a failure of the air pump block off when removing the air pump from the bike.  When this fails it blows hot exhaust directly at the tank.  I still have my air pump hooked up so not a worry. 

• still2smokin

Posted August 23, 2015 - 02:46 PM

When the tank is full the fuel in tank cools the tank and prevents the exhaust from melting the plastic. 

And when its not full ??

What's the point of having a big tank if you cant use it ?

Sorry guys I gotta turn back before it catches fire ? or

Yeah lets keep riding and not catch my self , the bike and my favorite riding spot on fire

• stevets

Posted August 23, 2015 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for the replies.

My tank has only left side petcock and I thought I read somewhere that IMS had addressed this overheat problem by removing the right side petcock. And, with the stock exhaust, that may be the case. But with the FMF, the bulge in header is directly under the lowest part of the tank.

Truth is I'm not too fond of the noisy pipe so maybe a different header is the solution.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • condor74

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:00 PM

And when its not full ??

What's the point of having a big tank if you cant use it ?

Sorry guys I gotta turn back before it catches fire ? or

Yeah lets keep riding and not catch my self , the bike and my favorite riding spot on fire

If I am that low on fuel I am not riding at full speed anyway and I am looking for a place to quickly refuel.  I have had the tank on my bike for over a year and It has worked fine for me.  I have ridden hard desert rides that have taken more than 80 miles.  On my bike, it has been a non issue.  I would recommend it to others.  Almost all the fires that I have read about have been a failure of the smog pump block off kit.  The OP has the FMF header which may be an issue.  With the stock pipe and header wrap, the tank works fine.

• stevets

Posted August 26, 2015 - 05:33 AM

Thanks condor. Im sticking with the tank and will switch to a different header that can be wrapped. Truth is the mega bomb is louder than i prefer so, hopefully, i can increase my range and decrease my noise!

• beezer

Posted August 26, 2015 - 06:22 AM

The powerbomb quiets the bike down a decibel or 2.

It's what comes after the header that's the problem.

• Summit

Posted August 28, 2015 - 01:49 PM

Could never figure our why anyone would want to ride a dirt bike more than about 70 miles which is what my stock tank delivers. At around 50 miles I'm heading for the truck...I guess I'm getting old.

• toten

Posted August 28, 2015 - 01:54 PM

Could never figure our why anyone would want to ride a dirt bike more than about 70 miles which is what my stock tank delivers. At around 50 miles I'm heading for the truck...I guess I'm getting old.

My bike's on 17s and I ride it on the street, extra range can be nice.

• condor74

Posted August 30, 2015 - 05:27 PM

The ability to ride for more than 70 miles is nice.  Your ride may be much less than 70 miles.  Most of my typical rides fall into the less than 50 mile range.  If there is an emergency or a side excursion or something else unforeseen then the extra fuel is nice.  You typically do not ride your bike until it is completely empty.  I like to keep 1/2 to 1/4 of a tank.  I like to ride a 50 mile ride and have fuel to spare.  Another thing, fuel consumption changes a lot with terrain you are riding on.  I am sure I could easily get over 100 miles on my bike if I was riding on the street with light throttle but if I am in 1st or 2nd gear for long periods of time wrestling it up tight mountain single track then my fuel mileage will be substantially worse.  Another good feature of the large tank is I have the ability to give a little fuel to others if they are out and can get back to the truck.  I also have a motocross bike with a stock tank and I have taken it on long rides.  I have also been a little horrified to find there was not enough fuel to start it the next morning after I got back to camp.    The desert tank gives you a margin of safety. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.