Injector issue? Won't start...

I wonder if this is from jumping on the gas when the motor was still cold (cold seize)?

At the end of the day, the mechanic didn't say this, but this is about the only thing that it could be, as I see it.  It was running good, and then not.  That particular morning, it was not all that cold, so it wasn't the cold that caused it, but possibly a cold motor.

I've been letting the new one warm up a little bit before I take off.  Hopefully, that's doing something for me.  When it gets really cold, I ride down to about 30, I'll let it warm up for a few minutes before I take off...

At the end of the day, the mechanic didn't say this, but this is about the only thing that it could be, as I see it.  It was running good, and then not.  That particular morning, it was not all that cold, so it wasn't the cold that caused it, but possibly a cold motor.

I've been letting the new one warm up a little bit before I take off.  Hopefully, that's doing something for me.  When it gets really cold, I ride down to about 30, I'll let it warm up for a few minutes before I take off...

I always start my bike and idle it for a good 60 seconds when cold, and putt for a mile and a half, before launching the first wheelie.

I be more concerned without a thermostat with cold seizure, than with.

For it to be a cold seizure, IMO you would really need to have made an effort for that to happen, I already mentioned Lead > G

• 4 months later...

My 2016 KTM with only 34 hours on it is having fuel delivery issues. It has trouble starting and is very stumbly in lower rpms and doesn"t have the power it use to. I have searched the forums and started my own diagnostics and knowing I have changed the inline fuel filter a few times already I ruled out the fuel injector being dirty. I also read somewhere that if you open the gas cap and look in the tank and when you turn it on and give it a few revs that it will spray fuel around in the tank meaning there is an issue with the fuel pump. Already have my fuel pump pulled and see no obvious signs. My question is that true and how do I test my fuel pump?

My 2016 KTM with only 34 hours on it is having fuel delivery issues. It has trouble starting and is very stumbly in lower rpms and doesn"t have the power it use to. I have searched the forums and started my own diagnostics and knowing I have changed the inline fuel filter a few times already I ruled out the fuel injector being dirty. I also read somewhere that if you open the gas cap and look in the tank and when you turn it on and give it a few revs that it will spray fuel around in the tank meaning there is an issue with the fuel pump. Already have my fuel pump pulled and see no obvious signs. My question is that true and how do I test my fuel pump?

Have you cleaned the injector? They plug easily, and this sounds like your issue.

The only issues I have heard of with fuel pumps is that they quit working all together. When they got hot, they lock up.

• Like 1

Have you cleaned the injector? They plug easily, and this sounds like your issue.

The only issues I have heard of with fuel pumps is that they quit working all together. When they got hot, they lock up.

So do guys just bring an extra fuel pump /injector  ..when going riding in trail? what do they do?..just add more filters like the gas cap one etc?

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Not seeing a fuel injector reliability issue (seems very reliable), only thing I do is don't let bike sit ,  ride every week, Tank sock is good.  Occasionally run an ounce of regain though every couple of tanks.  Opening the throttle up helps to  stay flushed out too. 

After pulling the pump out I ran the pump in a bowl of water so I could test to see if it was the problem. Once I turned the kill switch to run the fuel pump activated and built up fuel pressure, a filter inside the tank in line with the pump was spraying fuel from the top of it. So I replaced that and now it is running great no issue with the pump at all. I really don't understand how the injector gets dirty when there has to be at least three filters before the injector.

• Like 2

After pulling the pump out I ran the pump in a bowl of water so I could test to see if it was the problem. Once I turned the kill switch to run the fuel pump activated and built up fuel pressure, a filter inside the tank in line with the pump was spraying fuel from the top of it. So I replaced that and now it is running great no issue with the pump at all. I really don't understand how the injector gets dirty when there has to be at least three filters before the injector.

Really fine particles can still get through. Water will also go through the filters.

Now that I think about it, in 2012 or 2013 I believe, they actually changed to a filter that was not as fine because they were getting plugged too easily. So, that's great for people that do not want change filters as often, but now it's easier to contaminate the fuel system.

• Like 2

So your in tank plastic fuel filter was cracked.

Not sure why they are cracking, but there have been a few of those.. Not sure if they will all do it eventually or its just hit or miss getting a good one.

• Like 2

So your in tank plastic fuel filter was cracked.

Not sure why they are cracking, but there have been a few of those.. Not sure if they will all do it eventually or its just hit or miss getting a good one.

That's a good thing to know.. It would be good to be prepped up so if you are in the middle of nowhere you have a way of getting out with whatever parts you need.

Damn!!! that isn't cheap!! but at least it's available. efi is just becoming the norm these days....so it makes sense to be prepared. I still like a carb but I'd like to know what to do in case of an efi problem.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I have a spare, mostly because they updated the injector, wrapped in Saran Wrap and a small plastic box in my toolbox. Injectors cost most of us around $125 so it would be a rather significant savings doing it this way. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Damn!!! that isn't cheap!! but at least it's available. efi is just becoming the norm these days....so it makes sense to be prepared. I still like a carb but I'd like to know what to do in case of an efi problem.

Hey man off subject but I'm about to move to Hawaii and could use some advise on how to start riding in the area without offending any of the locals. I have a ktm 500 exc that I have converted to a supermoto for daily riding but I go back to the dirt setup pretty often to get my dirt riding fix in. So any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Hey man off subject but I'm about to move to Hawaii and could use some advise on how to start riding in the area without offending any of the locals. I have a ktm 500 exc that I have converted to a supermoto for daily riding but I go back to the dirt setup pretty often to get my dirt riding fix in. So any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

We have a riding park out at Kahuku  about 400 acres or so.. That's your best bet to start.. and it's beautiful. Once you get here then contact me.. I don't ride on the road right now..but I have a friend or 2 that have street legal dirt bikes ..and they should point you in the right direction.. but the Waiale'e  riding park is the place to go.. just to start up.. I'm talking about Oahu now.. I'm not sure about outer islands.. I know that the big island has a riding park too but never rode there.. Start by just checking out some websites.. put a search for ridehma  and rock island riders  ..  mk200 .. you can just look at my youtube channel and look at some of my playlists etc.. to get an idea of what kind of riding.. mostly tight and technical.. but just gotta find the right group to go riding with.. I'll go ride with you if you come to Oahu.. just to give a basic ride around our riding park. The rest of the island has riders being driven off where they've been riding for decades.. too many people on a little island.. 

..part of our riding park on the north shore of Oahu,.. referred to as "Kahuku" but it's actually Waiale'e .