How to yz my wr

6 replies to this topic
  • condog_aus

Posted August 23, 2015 - 02:45 AM

Hi guys so its been a lot of years since i have owned a wr , i have owned yz 450 and kx450 for last x many years. ... Due to needing a road registerable model i have been forced to 2015 WR...

So due to super aggressive riding style im just finding it pretty ordinary and want advice on setting it up...

Suspension is way too soft...i weight 160 or less...is this within range of stock wr springs

Also the cams re yz v wr, is there still a huge difference, because it sure feels gutless compared to my yz and kx... AnyOne changed them out ?.?

Gearing also seems way too low in 1st. Thoughts ta.

Many thanks...sorry id normally research this myself but work is gruelling at present.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 23, 2015 - 08:26 AM

If you truly want it to be as powerful and as fast as a YZ, you will need to do a lot, starting with massive head porting, or a GYTR head and cam package, and an ignition system upgrade (vortex).

The Reciprocating mass of the motor will restrict how fast it can accelerate compared to a YZ, but you can make it as powerful.

What most here do is a minimum of this:

GYTR tuner to fix the lean condition

2006 YZ exhaust cam with the pin ground (so the estart still works) for much wider and stronger power band

Full re-valve and respring of the suspension

Re-gear to 14/51 for everything but plonking single track

Even though the YZ and WR appear to be 'mix and match', they are not. 

The ignition system alone is completely different.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 31, 2015 - 10:59 AM

See my posts.  My WR is now half YZ.  YZ shock, linkage, exhaust cam, 25 pound weight loss, including the starter removal.   It's really nice to have the WR transmission ratios instead of the YZ ratios.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted August 31, 2015 - 11:59 AM

You can buy a WR gear set for any YZ for  $ 385.00

• woods-rider

Posted August 31, 2015 - 12:05 PM

If you truly want it to be as powerful and as fast as a YZ, you will need to do a lot, starting with massive head porting, or a GYTR head and cam package, and an ignition system upgrade (vortex).

The Reciprocating mass of the motor will restrict how fast it can accelerate compared to a YZ, but you can make it as powerful.

What most here do is a minimum of this:

GYTR tuner to fix the lean condition

2006 YZ exhaust cam with the pin ground (so the estart still works) for much wider and stronger power band

Full re-valve and respring of the suspension

Re-gear to 14/51 for everything but plonking single track

Even though the YZ and WR appear to be 'mix and match', they are not. 

The ignition system alone is completely different.

Don't forget to do something about the muffler. Either drill out the baffles or just replace it with an FMFQ or similar.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 31, 2015 - 12:25 PM

You can buy a WR gear set for any YZ for  $ 385.00

Was way more than that for parts to put a WR gearset into my friends YZ250F.  Let alone labor.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, August 31, 2015 - 12:25 PM.

• ozijake08

Posted September 12, 2015 - 04:16 AM

my 09 wr450 is running a full YZ450 GYTR pipe, a vortex ignition , and carbie set up to suit and this thing frightens me

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.