Wr450f smoke at high rpm

29 replies to this topic
  • RiderDeAzul

Posted August 29, 2015 - 04:25 PM

Bought a service manual. But I can't find anything about my cylinder because it's athena. I couldn't find anything listed on their site, never really dealt with them before, I guess I'll have to call.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 02, 2015 - 03:42 PM

Sorry for asking so many questions. I checked my valves and the measurements are in the picture, should I re-shim even if it's just 0.01 off or the one that is right at minimum spec?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1441237365.863541.jpg

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 06, 2015 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, but don't just 'put in a new piston'.....you need to check the service limits of the cylinder, and the old piston to see if they are evan worn, and where.
You need to check the valves for sealing...you can do this by just pouring gas in the upside down head and see if fuel leaks out faster than a drop per minute...
Check the ring gap of the new piston and rings, and properly orient the rings relative to each other.

You need a SERVICE MANUAL!

So I just flip the head upside down and put gas in the spot where the piston goes up to the valves? Here's my cylinder by the way, thought something was up, good thing I didn't ride it too much hahaImageUploadedByThumper Talk1441570298.847939.jpg

• William1

Posted September 11, 2015 - 11:09 AM

That barrel is shot and is the cause (at least one of) the oil issue.

Replate, new piston, rings.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 11, 2015 - 11:21 AM

That barrel is shot and is the cause (at least one of) the oil issue.

Replate, new piston, rings.

I just got a new stock 450cc cylinder and piston because the cylinder in the picture is already bored to 480cc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted September 11, 2015 - 11:26 AM

I just got a new stock 450cc cylinder and piston because the cylinder in the picture is already bored to 480cc

Next time remember cylinders can be striped and re plated to the proper size needed.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 11, 2015 - 11:30 AM

Next time remember cylinders can be striped and re plated to the proper size needed.

Hmm, I never knew that, thanks for the tip, how much does that usually cost?

• stevethe

Posted September 11, 2015 - 11:33 AM

Nearly a new cylinder price. However if sent to a company like millinuim technology it gets done very well with very good quality.

• William1

Posted September 11, 2015 - 11:38 AM

Contact a place like Millenium Tech (M/T.com)

• RiderDeAzul

Posted September 11, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Will do, thanks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.