yz426f carburetor discussion

5 replies to this topic
  • kelby_rides_2T

Posted August 21, 2015 - 01:29 PM

So just yesterday i brought home a 2000 YZ426F. Bike has been sitting since 2002 with less than 10 hours. Carb is not in very good condition even after cleaning it very thoroughly and i was wondering if a more modern 450 carb would mount up to the 426 head. And any mods i should perform ? thank you in advance

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2015 - 11:07 AM

Yes it will.  It's a near bolt-on.  

Several threads on the subject if you searc this forum for it.  This one concerns YZ400's, but the information is the same other than the fact that you won't have an external hot start system to block off.  

http://www.thumperta.../#entry11011329

• defilmcrew

Posted August 24, 2015 - 08:26 PM

I had an 02 yz426 and picked up a 08 yz450 carb with hot start lever and throttle cables (make sure you get these if carb doesnt come with it). Bike ran flawless, idled perfect no bog or hesitation ever, more snappy and way more fun to ride. It is all bolt on as gray stated just route the hot start cable to the bars and you are golden. The rear air boot will stretch a little and the carb on the head side boot wont sit flush like yours does now but it will fully seat and bottom just looks funny. Best mod i ever did to that bike just make sure its a yz carb not yfz with a single throttle cable they both work but the push pull cable is bolt on the single is kind of bolt on lol also better years to look for are 05 to 09 i believe

Edited by defilmcrew, August 25, 2015 - 08:14 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2015 - 05:48 AM

....just make sure its a yz carb not YFZ (quad) with a single throttle cable ....

l also better years to look for are 05 to '09 i believe

Corrections in bold.

Also avoid carbs from a WR.

• defilmcrew

Posted August 25, 2015 - 08:15 AM

Corrections in bold.

Also avoid carbs from a WR.

Corrections corrected

Edited by defilmcrew, August 25, 2015 - 08:16 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2015 - 09:00 AM

Regarding the single cable quad setup, the YZF dual cable throttle tube uses the "pull shut" cable as a stop.  Not very usable without the second cable.  It can be done, but you won't like it. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.