Changing tires

14 replies to this topic
  • XrFreakXr

Posted February 24, 2004 - 01:11 PM

I know this is a very newb question but im a newb. :) Is it difficult to put new tires on my xr? I'd like to be able to do it myself. :D

• irondude

Posted February 24, 2004 - 01:46 PM

easy. do the front one first to gain confidence.

• needsprayer

Posted February 24, 2004 - 01:56 PM

Don't let irondude fool ya. The first time is not easy and the back tire is even more of a challenge. You need long tire levers, good techniques and practice before it gets easy.

Do a search on the web and you will find good illustrations.

Easy is when you let irondude change your tires for ya. :)

• XrFreakXr

Posted February 24, 2004 - 03:39 PM

I'm debating whether i should pay the $15 labor charge for each tire, or get practice and do it myself...

• Roll_it_on

Posted February 24, 2004 - 04:32 PM

I would recommend getting the tools and doing it yourself and get the hang of it. You never when you will need to fix a flat etc.. and there won't be any shop available to change it out for you. It may make the difference between going on a great ride and sitting one out. :)

• irondude

Posted February 24, 2004 - 07:58 PM

Needsprayer is of course right---its not so easy. But think of it as a monster bicycle tire, and give it a try.

Buy the MSR tire irons, plus the two piece lever that has one end that looks like a giant scallop. Add a new tube-get the Bridgestone heavy duty.

Unbolt the 10mm pinch bolts, and then unscrew the 17mm front axle. DO this with the bike on a stand.

SLide the front tire out.

Let all the air out by pushing in the valve.

Put a piece of thick cardboard or wood-like 1/2 inch plywood - on the floor.

Take out the spacers from the center of the wheel where the axle came out.

With the wheel on the wood (on the floor)-use all your body weight-by kneeling- on the tire to seperate it by 3/4 or so of an inch from the rim. That means the edge of the tire slips away from the rim, toward the center. Rotate the tire until this is fully done on both sides of the wheel (flip it over and repeat as necessary)

Now- with the disc side up, take a tire iron and using the scalloped end, pry the side of the tire up and over the rim-some would use a piece of plastic on the rim to avoid scratching. Put the tire iron under the disc with the pressure from the extended rubber keeping it tight. WIth the other tire iron, move 3-4 inches to either side of the first tire iron, and do the same thing--that is put the scalloped side in, and pull back-be carefull always not to have a piece of inner tube 'pinched' between the rim and the tire iron.
Repeat this all the way around the tire.
Once one side of tire is off-unscrew the nut at the base of the inner tube valve, and push the valve inwards- now i hope you have small fingers....reach in and pull the inner tube out. Get physical and really yank on it.
Once the tube is out-stand the tire up, and put a knee into the top to push in the tire and take it off the wheel-pull the tire off all the way--if you cant pull it off--then put the tire back down and try using the tire irons from the other side-pulling the tire away from the rim.

Now--throw away the rubber strap that runs around the rim-replace with 1/2-3/4 inch strip of duct tape going all the way around 2-3 times. Make good hole for the valve.

Put the new tire on the ground, with the rim over it. Put some liquid soap from your kitchen-or use WD40-around the edge of the tire where it will meet the rim-to break the surface tension between the rubber and the aluminum of the rim.

Next use the tire irons the pry one side of the tire on.

Then stuff the new tube in- some will put a bit of air in the tube to keep from pinching it--then finger tighten the nut over the valve stem to keep it from slipping in-once you have gotten it thru the hole--not so easy!

Flip the tire, and proceed to put the rest of the tire back on with the tire irons. Make sure the other side is 'off the rim' meaning that the tire is loose on the inside, off the bead-thus allowing the tire to stretch while you put on the other side...tighten the valve nut, and air it up. I run 16 pounds for fast stuff, 12.5 lbs for slow stuff where traction is key.

First time will be very frustrating, and you might end up with bloody knuckle or two, plus it will take you a good hour or more.

BUT- once its done-it will really make you feel like a better man! Plus sooner or later you are going to need to do this on the trail. SO buy the tools and practice at home. :D

First time will be a hassle, but after doing it a few times like anything else it really does get easy to do. Pro's can do the whole thing in 4 minutes....! :)

Go for it- if all else fails you can take it to the dealer and pay the $15...

• MotoChris521

Posted February 25, 2004 - 03:56 AM

Excellent tips IronDude,
Here's a couple more
(1) heat tire: the rubber will stretch more when warm.
(2) ArmorAll the beads

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XrFreakXr

Posted February 25, 2004 - 04:00 AM

Thanks for the great info. I think I'm going to go ahead and order my tires. When i use to BMX I felt good doing all the work on my bike. Thanks again guys. :)

• XrFreakXr

Posted February 25, 2004 - 04:11 AM

KIT Should i get something like this to take on trails. Or is this a cheap pos?

• laus_Deo

Posted February 25, 2004 - 04:47 AM

Pick up the January 04 copy of Dirt Rider magazine. In the back of the it is a great article on changing tires, lots of good hints and great pix. Good luck. :)

• SaltyWalrus

Posted February 25, 2004 - 09:50 AM

Don't forget to coat tube with talcum (baby) powder when putting it in tire. It is supposed to reduce chaifing (how do you spell that). I have always done it with good results.

• sactoXR

Posted February 26, 2004 - 12:07 PM

Don't forget the twelve pack of beer! The first time is a [@#$%&*!]. My first shot was putting on D606 dual sport tires, rear first. Big mistake--stiff sidewalls, rear tire....

Good luck, and it does feel good when you get it done. :)

• Carlisle1972

Posted February 26, 2004 - 01:31 PM

lots of wd 40 on tire and baby powder on the tube works great!!!

• laus_Deo

Posted February 27, 2004 - 05:42 AM

lots of wd 40 on tire and baby powder on the tube works great!!!

Be sure to keep the tire away from the rim when spraying on the WD40, the brakes don't work so good with WD40 on um. :)

• jkwithers

Posted March 02, 2004 - 07:17 PM

irondude thanks for your detailed description I was sucessfully able to take off my rear tire now im back to the garage to put my new tire on thanks again :) :D :D

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.