WR450 FI Tool

26 replies to this topic
  • WRF-Rowdy

Posted September 15, 2015 - 10:20 PM

For those that bought the FI tool from cmsnl, does it come with the right connectors for the wr?
Thanks
Paolo

Kinda. It comes with croc clamps forthe battery and a single green wire for the signal.

The green wire goes into the center pin of that three pin aux-connector resting right above the ECU case.

There are many CO setting floating around. My bike starts best with very negative CO settings.

read: http://www.thumperta...ic-vs-af-ratio/

I currently run racing muffler and header (no O2 sensor), intake and exhaust YZ'06 cams, but airbox snorkel in place.

but beware that not all bikes are created equal.  While my WR need CO setting in the -25 to -20 setting to NOT idle rich,

yesterday someone mentioned that his bike won't start nicely with high negative CO settings number.

If - as most US guys - you did not get the street legal exhaust + racing kit with your bike you cannot

mount the header pipe featuring an O2 sensor to find the sweet spot. 

I recommend hooking up the CO tool in CO setting mode while the engine is idling, setting idle rpms as low as possible,

and find max and min(!) CO setting where the engine will die.

Set CO to value in the middle and repeat with lower idle rpm.

That way you should end up wiht the lowest possible idle rpm your engine is capable of, thanks to the now best CO setting.

Get idle rpm back to normal and enjoy peerless e-startability.

• puffoxr

Posted September 15, 2015 - 11:51 PM

]Kinda. It comes with croc clamps forthe battery and a single green wire for the signal.
The green wire goes into the center pin of that three pin aux-connector resting right above the ECU case.
in place.

Thanks for the prompt reply Rowdy!
Just a clarification....
In the pictures it seems that the connector signed with the red arrow can fit in the one of the wr (the connector above the ecu case)
Am I right or not?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by puffoxr, September 15, 2015 - 11:52 PM.

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 16, 2015 - 05:01 AM

here's how mine is set up...it connects to connector above the ECU like you mention:

FIPic_zpsba12e3f2.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted September 16, 2015 - 05:05 AM

here's how mine is set up...it connects to connector above the ECU like you mention:

FIPic_zpsba12e3f2.jpg

Were you able to get this to working for CO without the battery clamps? 

• WRF-Rowdy

Posted September 16, 2015 - 06:56 AM

Just a clarification....
In the pictures it seems that the connector signed with the red arrow can fit in the one of the wr (the connector above the ecu case)
Am I right or not?

I'd say no. That connector is three way in a triangle shape. At best it might fit the TPS connector, but wouldn't be of much use there as the TPS lacks power it's a potentioneter (resistor)

BUT you can use that nice harness and add a DIY adapter cable like AtomicGeo in the next posting is describing.

I, too, got me the 3 way sumitomo connector, cut off the croco clamps and put the connector at the end of the "croc harness".

Furthermore, I did remove the diode in the bikes harness an hardwired the Aux connector's plus pin to battery plus see:

http://www.thumperta...3#entry12516439

• puffoxr

Posted September 16, 2015 - 10:32 AM

Ok, I'm not so skilled as you in electronic components, connector etc.
So, in order to avoid errors, I try to summarize....
In the annexed picture the cable in the Blu circle is connected to the battery with the clamps and to the diag tool.
The green cable marked with the red arrow (signal) is linked (with a new wire) to the center pin of the aux-connector resting right above the ECU case.
After that I switch the power on from the bike and the diag tool should be connected.
If the above is correct I will proceed!!
Thanks again to everyone!!
Paolo

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 16, 2015 - 04:44 PM

Were you able to get this to working for CO without the battery clamps? 

Yes, it works this way...Once I get some time this weekend I can  post up a short vid showing how I set the CO  setting with the FI tool connected the way I have it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.