How to tell the size of the motor?

5 replies to this topic
  • rcfallen

Posted August 19, 2015 - 08:59 PM

So dumb question? I just bought a used 2007 yz450f and I got to thinking. I was looking at the title (CA) and noticed there was nothing that mentioned wether it was a 250 or 450. Other than the persons word, I could not figure out for sure. Do I think he was lying, no but im just curious. If I ever wanted to now for sure, how could I find out? I didnt notice any markings or anything on the frame or motor. 

Edited by rcfallen, August 19, 2015 - 09:00 PM.

• zotis777

Posted August 20, 2015 - 02:07 AM

So dumb question? I just bought a used 2007 yz450f and I got to thinking. I was looking at the title (CA) and noticed there was nothing that mentioned wether it was a 250 or 450. Other than the persons word, I could not figure out for sure. Do I think he was lying, no but im just curious. If I ever wanted to now for sure, how could I find out? I didnt notice any markings or anything on the frame or motor.

Displacement should be cast onto the side of the cylinder

• bigduff

Posted August 20, 2015 - 02:37 AM

Displacement on the side of the motor and the VIN should also tell you.  that is, if it is the original frame.  I am currently dealing with one of those bikes :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2015 - 06:13 AM

Displacement should be cast onto the side of the cylinder

Specifically, at the lower right corner of the front of the cylinder.

The 250F in that year has an external oil tank, while the 450 has an internal oil reservoir in the front of the crankcase.  There will be a dipstick in front of the cylinder on the left side.

• cpetz24

Posted August 20, 2015 - 06:39 AM

You should be able to feel the difference.   450's are scary fast, 250's are less scary fast.  

• rcfallen

Posted August 20, 2015 - 06:49 AM

lol scary fast. Hey thanks guys for the reply's. I guess I didn't look hard enough. I did see it on the side of the cylinder head (449cc). I appreciate the help! Hope everything works out with your bike bigduff.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.