2014 yz450f worn connecting rod

38 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2015 - 09:19 AM

Since it seems that Yamaha's correction for the matter was to change the rod, it appears likely that the rod was at fault for either a loose fit to begin with, or wasn't hardened or finished correctly in the first iteration.  It's been a long time since I heard any stock YZF ping on the minimum required octane, but with everyone remapping their EFI bike's timing curves all over the place, I thought I'd ask. 

• camman

Posted September 03, 2015 - 05:00 PM

The Hot Rods crank uses the forging from the KXF250. It is slightly beefier and I have not seen a failure yet.

• DanielMerrick

Posted September 05, 2015 - 01:22 PM

Well she's back together,
Running well so far on the stand,

My dealer will let me know if I'm paying for my crank or not this week hopefully,

I forgot to pickup oil so I'm running
Royal purple for the moment, what's everyone's opinion on it ?

Getting my wheel back from my buddy hopefully get out to the sand this weekend

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1441488122.059936.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2015 - 10:09 PM

I forgot to pickup oil so I'm running
Royal purple for the moment, what's everyone's opinion on it ?

It's not great.  Should be OK if you change it often.

• DanielMerrick

Posted September 05, 2015 - 10:43 PM

What do you run ?

I plan to do a service oil after break in

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2015 - 08:04 PM

I use either Mobil 1 Racing 4T or Amsoil "Synthetic Motorcycle Oil" (MCF)

• DanielMerrick

Posted September 08, 2015 - 11:50 AM

Well Yamaha didn't cover any costs,

I am a little disappointed but they gave me a unmatchable deal on my parts

Riding after break in

https://vimeo.com/138616706

• Gaz929

Posted September 08, 2015 - 10:46 PM

I have also just started to hear knocking coming from my head on tick over? Never noticed it before until a few rides ago, I've always used high octane fuel but the last few times I've used normal 95 octane and this is when I've noticed the sound.

My bike only has 23hrs from new!

I was informed to change the piston every 50hrs but since this knocking sound I'm thinking of doing it sooner before something goes bad!

Edited by Gaz929, September 08, 2015 - 10:48 PM.

• Family Man

Posted September 09, 2015 - 06:39 AM

Rod failure is a major issue is there a bulliten out for this or a recall? What years does it affect, is it only the 14 or does it affect other years too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DanielMerrick

Posted September 09, 2015 - 06:54 AM

Apparently according to my regional manager there is no known issue.. He said it could be an American thing why they cover cost and if he even tried his boss would reject it.. Word for word what I was told,
I'm not overly happy but atleast my bikes up and running, 815$ later..

• Bremer120

Posted September 09, 2015 - 09:19 AM

If your bike is starting to tick or knock I would address the issue or at least have a game plan. If you can convince or arrange something with your dealer you should do so. If they will not cover like in Daniels case it will still be cheaper to disassemble, inspect, and rebuild as he has done. I was also told that there is currently no recall or bulletin for this but it's starting to sound like there may be a rash of bad rods or a design flaw that affected a group of motors.

• Jon-D

Posted September 09, 2015 - 09:52 AM

I was talking with a local mechanic and he was telling me that he has seen several Yamaha's with rod failures in his shop.  that was his unsolicited response, as I was talking about my Honda troubles and thinking about switching to a Yamaha and he recommended looking to another brand.  I am sure corporate knows about it and are trying to keep the costs down.  

• Gaz929

Posted September 09, 2015 - 11:17 AM

If your bike is starting to tick or knock I would address the issue or at least have a game plan. If you can convince or arrange something with your dealer you should do so. If they will not cover like in Daniels case it will still be cheaper to disassemble, inspect, and rebuild as he has done. I was also told that there is currently no recall or bulletin for this but it's starting to sound like there may be a rash of bad rods or a design flaw that affected a group of motors.

This is what I'm thinking mate! Open her up and see what's what.

What exactly do I need to replace/upgrade?

Edited by Gaz929, September 09, 2015 - 11:18 AM.

• Bremer120

Posted September 09, 2015 - 12:42 PM

This is what I'm thinking mate! Open her up and see what's what.

What exactly do I need to replace/upgrade?

Well I, personally, would try the dealership that you purchased the bike from first and see if they would help you out with parts. If they will, they are going to want to do the labor themselves to find the flaw so I would suggest figuring that out before tearing it down. If you don't want them to do the work or you aren't able to get their help then I would tear down and see if you can find wear similar to what the OP found.

The parts being replaced will be personal preference and there might be a difference between parts needed to be replaced and parts that SHOULD be replaced. Sorry Daniel. Not trying to hijack here.

• Family Man

Posted September 10, 2015 - 09:37 PM

Did yamaha update the rod for 2015?

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2015 - 06:11 AM

Yes.  The rod for 2015 carries a new part number.  The '14 rod is the same in the '10 - '14 models, though, and there hasn't been a spate of rod failures going back to those models.  I doubt it's an issue of a significant defect. 

• CZRoger

Posted September 18, 2015 - 10:13 AM

I'm not sure if the oil nozzle will do anything but I figured if they use it for high compression it must do something, it has 2 leak holes vs the standard 1

What was the part number for that GYTR oil nozzle?

• DanielMerrick

Posted September 18, 2015 - 11:20 AM

What was the part number for that GYTR oil nozzle?

https://www.shopyama...1&dealernumber=

• CZRoger

Posted September 18, 2015 - 12:35 PM

Thanks!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.