Weird front sprocket wear

9 replies to this topic
  • bigl

Posted August 18, 2015 - 08:49 PM

Hi

I managed to wear out a front sprocket in +/- 600km.  This seems very excessive even though I like caning the bike - 05 WR450.

This sprocket looks to have the same wear as the set I replaced.  The inside, motor side of the sprocket is very deeply worn, while the outside looks fine.  I checked to see if there are any shim washers in the manual, but see none. ( In case the rear is slightly offset. )

I also replaced the chain adjuster blocks after the last chain set.  The chain looks straight when fitted.

Any ideas?

p.s.  I should have taken photos, I know :banghead:

• GuyGraham

Posted August 18, 2015 - 11:08 PM

Sounds like chain alignment is out possibly due to rear wheel alignment.
I get 3k miles out of front sprockets and thats all off road use

Edited by GuyGraham, August 18, 2015 - 11:09 PM.

• bigl

Posted August 19, 2015 - 03:09 AM

Sounds like chain alignment is out possibly due to rear wheel alignment.
I get 3k miles out of front sprockets and thats all off road use

So no front sprocket spacer.  Dang.  Does that mean the swing arm is bent or should I find a better way of checking the rear wheel alignment?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 19, 2015 - 05:27 AM

motion pro chain sight alignment tool

• bigl

Posted August 19, 2015 - 08:18 PM

motion pro chain sight alignment tool

Thanks.  I am checking it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jsantapau

Posted August 21, 2015 - 04:34 AM

if you have two different colored wheel spacers check to see if they are not on t wrong side

• bigl

Posted August 21, 2015 - 11:05 PM

if you have two different colored wheel spacers check to see if they are not on t wrong side

I am not to sure what you are referring to?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 22, 2015 - 05:24 AM

I am not to sure what you are referring to?

He's talking about the rear wheel spacers. 

• bigl

Posted August 23, 2015 - 07:42 PM

I thought so, but the parts fiche shows the same part number both sides.

I dug through the scrap metal to get the sprocket to show to a buddy.  I found another friends VTR1000 front sprocket from a set I helped replace a while back.  It had the same one sided wear pattern.  i am now thinking it must have something to do with the torque effect.

• still2smokin

Posted August 23, 2015 - 08:04 PM

Maybe also check your swing arm bearings .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.