Lowering YZ450

13 replies to this topic
  • Vjw757

Posted August 18, 2015 - 03:58 AM

I just traded a 2004 YFZ450  for a YZ450. I am only 5'4 (or 64 inches) tall. This thing sits so high that I can not start it without leaning onto something. Is there anyway to get it low enough to let my feet touch the ground. I won't be doing much jumping. just trail riding. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2394.JPG

Edited by Vjw757, August 18, 2015 - 04:17 AM.

• Orvis309

Posted August 18, 2015 - 06:53 AM

Lowering link and then slide the forks up in the triple clamp. Or if you want to be really cheap you can back the preload on the shock spring almost all the way off but make sure there it is still somewhat tight you don't want it slapping around

• rojapar

Posted August 18, 2015 - 07:26 AM

Lowering link and then slide the forks up in the triple clamp. Or if you want to be really cheap you can back the preload on the shock spring almost all the way off but make sure there it is still somewhat tight you don't want it slapping around

I was looking into lowering mine a bit but was told it would destroy the handling.  might just try to cut the seat down.

• DiRTADDICT 22

Posted August 18, 2015 - 08:03 AM

That's really short on a big bike, have you considered a more trail orientated ttr 125/230 or crf 150/230?

• Orvis309

Posted August 18, 2015 - 08:49 AM

Lowering a bike properly should not make a bike handle any worse, and in the case of the yz it should make it handle a little better.

• rojapar

Posted August 18, 2015 - 10:12 AM

Lowering a bike properly should not make a bike handle any worse, and in the case of the yz it should make it handle a little better.

I'm not sure about that, but from what ive gathered raising the forks and putting on a lowering link isn't the proper way to go about it.

• Orvis309

Posted August 18, 2015 - 10:34 AM

I'm not sure about that, but from what ive gathered raising the forks and putting on a lowering link isn't the proper way to go about it.

Depends on the bike and desired effect. Lowering from inside isn't always best

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted August 18, 2015 - 10:58 AM

Lowering a bike with a lowering link and sliding the forks up is the poor man's way of lowering a bike and does affect handling. Lowering links stiffen the initial part of the suspension travel and sliding the forks brings the wheel closer to the motor. Doing it internally is the proper way to do it.

• grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2015 - 11:11 AM

And it's also the most expensive.  Undeniably the best approach, though. 

At 5'4", you'll have a long way to go to put either foot on the ground.  Unless you take 3" out of the suspension travel, or something, you'll still, um, come up short.  (couldn't be helped)  People do adapt, though.  I rode with a guy who was like 5'2" or so and was on a full sized RM250.  Sliding on and off the saddle to one side, leaning the bike on stuff or rolling it in order to get up on the thing in order to kick start it, stuff like that.  Made it all work.

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted August 19, 2015 - 03:10 AM

Hang in there. It'll get better. I'm about 5'6"ish and thought I made a mistake getting the same bike. One foot on the trailer or finding a low spot to put the bike in to get it started. I kept mine stock, besides correct spring rates and heavy flywheel, now starting is a breeze and the height doesn't bother me.
Just keep moving.

• KX250F_465

Posted August 19, 2015 - 10:22 AM

You learn to keep your feet on the pegs more and throttle out when in doubt!!!!

• edv2009

Posted September 05, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Yamaha does offer a lower seat as an aftermarket accessory, if that help.

• knuckleduster271

Posted September 17, 2015 - 06:29 PM

Shave the seat and send the shock and forks out to a suspension shop and do it internally. That's the only correct way to do it. I'm 5'6" but have pretty long legs for a short fella (32" inseam) I have trouble starting my WR without the kickstand even with my motard wheels on it but my seat height and suspension are stock aside from being resprung and revalved for my weight and riding style.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 17, 2015 - 08:15 PM

Practice riding it stock.

Ride on the balls of your feet, not on the seat, and practice.

I ride with a 3" taller seat than stock, so I too cannot touch the ground with both feet either, even at 6'4"...... 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.