2011 YZ450F Timing Chain Replacement

1 reply to this topic
  • cpetz24

Posted August 17, 2015 - 12:47 PM

2 Questions on timing chain replacement:

1.  When or how do you know when to replace the timing chain?  I've seen that you should replace piston at around 100 hrs and do a timing chain with it.  I've seen 200 hrs, but no real good solid answer.  Is there a service limit?  All the book says is that if it is stiff or cracked to replace.  

2. Do you have to split the cases to replace the timing chain?  Or can you just remove the cams and the flywheel and pull a new chain up through the tunnel to the cam sprockets.  I've never JUST replaced a cam chain it's always been done when I have the top end completely off the bike.  But that was an XR250R and the timing chain is on the other side of the motor, not on the flywheel side.  

The bike has 80 hours on it based on what the GYTR tuner says, 20 of which are from me. Only reason I'm asking is that I've just been reading around and keep seeing a common theme of cam chain replacement as a common maintenance item and that has got me thinking it may be time for me to do so also.  I like the bike and it's a beast, I would just like to keep it running like one.  

Edited by cpetz24, August 17, 2015 - 12:47 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 17, 2015 - 01:41 PM

1)  Do it annually, or during any major repair.  Stiffened links are the most dangerous condition, and can only be checked for with the chain off the cams.

2) No.  The flywheel does need to be removed, and you should invest the $15 in a real flywheel puller for this engine.  It will fit a wide range of others.  Read: http://www.thumperta...f/#entry2520291

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.