Making a '14 and up YZ450 lighter?

Yamaha YZ450F

25 replies to this topic
  • GHILL28

Posted August 14, 2015 - 01:57 PM

At 8 lb/gal, optimizing your fuel fill is the best bet.

After that, make sure your seat doesn't get water-logged when you wash the bike.

The fork springs on these bikes are known to be oversized and very heavy.  Putting in an older style spring with a spacer can drop a lb maybe.

Suzuki's are about the best cornering and most nimble feeling bikes, and they're also some of the heaviest.  Focus on setup and geometry.  A 240 lb bike versus a 245 lb bike will not get you to the finish line any faster, only to the bottom of your bank account faster.

Oh, and yeah, the KTM's do vibrate like crazy.  Didn't realize it until I rode one back to back with my YZF.  The difference is nuts.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 14, 2015 - 07:54 PM

KTM's are lighter because they are smaller, and have lightweight vastly inferior forks, and the vibration is no charge.

• Garett0439

Posted August 15, 2015 - 09:39 AM

Believe it or not the tires out there vary by up to a couple pounds and they are unsprung weight which will have the biggest impact on handling. 

Does anyone have a link for a good thread with tires and their weights? 

I have weighed quite a few tires and have found that the DUnlop Geomax are very light.

Your brand new bike is going to come with ultra thin tubes which although being the lightest thing out there are going to have to be changed for ultra heavy duty tubes, mousse, tubliss, or Tireballs if you are going to ride offroad.

I just saved 5 pounds of unsprung weight by switching from ultra heavy duty tubes to Tireballs. Initially I switched because I was tired of getting flats, but was amazed when I weighed the tire balls against the Michelin ultra heavy duty tubes.

I believe I saved around 3.5 pounds in the back and 1.5 pounds in the front. I will weigh again next time I wear out a tire and record the weights tot he nearest tenth of a pound

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GHILL28

Posted August 15, 2015 - 10:19 AM

How long do those last? What psi do they feel similar to?

The tubes that came in that bike were 100% worthless. They flatted out from CHAFING against the inside of the sidewall....

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2015 - 06:29 AM

Your brand new bike is going to come with ultra thin tubes which although being the lightest thing out there are going to have to be changed for ultra heavy duty tubes, mousse, tubliss, or Tireballs if you are going to ride offroad.

For the most part, there are the thin, standard weight inner tubes, and the heavy ones, which are nearly as heavy as some tires, and so thick they won't fold into anything much smaller than a shoe box.  Except for Bridgestone.  They make a heavy duty tube that's about half as thick and heavy as the others, but still very tough and resilient, and much cheaper than mousse or tire ball solutions.  They're quite popular with desert racers in southern SoCal. 

• YHGEORGE

Posted August 16, 2015 - 09:30 AM

For the most part, there are the thin, standard weight inner tubes, and the heavy ones, which are nearly as heavy as some tires, and so thick they won't fold into anything much smaller than a shoe box.  Except for Bridgestone.  They make a heavy duty tube that's about half as thick and heavy as the others, but still very tough and resilient, and much cheaper than mousse or tire ball solutions.  They're quite popular with desert racers in southern SoCal. 

Correctomondo!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.