09 yz450f trouble shifting

5 replies to this topic
  • 09yz450fpgd

Posted August 11, 2015 - 11:38 AM

Have an 09 yz450f, with about 35, 40hrs on it. Have changed oil regularly approx every 5hrs. Last two times I have been out riding mx I could not shift from 3rd to 4th, this only happened once each time out felt like the shifter could not go up anymore, had to downshift then go back up. I usually use the clutch to upshift occasionally I will just let off the gas and upshift. Any ideas im thinking it could be a tweaked shift fork.

• Nytro555

Posted August 15, 2015 - 01:54 PM

Do you feel any binding when you move the shifter?

• Nytro555

Posted August 15, 2015 - 02:03 PM

Also change the oil more often. Every 1 to 2 hours. I use Mobil One.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 09yz450fpgd

Posted August 15, 2015 - 03:17 PM

No binding just feels like its all the way up like its in 5th wont go any higher ill try changing the oil more

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2015 - 06:41 AM

A 4-5 hour oil change interval when using Mobil 1 motorcycle oils (Racing 4T or V-Twin) is OK.  If using an automotive oil, 2-3 is safer.

What sometimes happens is that something interferes with the shifter re-centering.  When that happens, it fails to latch onto the next ratchet point on the shift cam, and fails to advance it.  In that situation, the lever would move through what seems like its normal travel without doing anything, instead of just not moving. 

Also, note that the locking lugs on the gears are undercut slightly so that the gears tend to hold in gear under a load of their own accord.  With a new-ish gearbox, it can be very resistant to being shifted under power because of that, and the best cure is to learn to roll the throttle back briefly while the shift is made.

• 09yz450fpgd

Posted August 16, 2015 - 06:53 AM

Thanks gray was hoping you would reply to my post, ill work on my throttle control while shifting

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.