Largest rear sprocket?

18 replies to this topic
  • rojapar

Posted August 11, 2015 - 05:33 AM

What is the largest rear sprocket I can run on a 2014 without running into any issues and using the stock length chain?

The stock gearing is 13/49.

With the 49 in the rear, it doesn't look like I can go much larger due to the rear chain guide.   Anything bigger looks like it would put the chain in a bind coming off the rear guide to the sprocket.

Also, my chain adjustment blocks are about in the middle of their range.  Its a new DID chain and I don't want to get a new chain or run two master links.

I was really wanting to go with a 52 but not sure it would work.  Has anybody ran a 51 without issues?

Thanks

• 15thumper

Posted August 11, 2015 - 06:04 AM

I'm running a 51 on my 2015 no issues

• rojapar

Posted August 11, 2015 - 06:32 AM

I'm running a 51 on my 2015 no issues

13 tooth on the front with stock chain length?

• 15thumper

Posted August 11, 2015 - 06:56 AM

Stock front stock chain

• rojapar

Posted August 11, 2015 - 08:23 AM

Stock front stock chain

Do you think a 52 would work out by the looks of things?

• regaliaracing

Posted August 11, 2015 - 08:47 AM

not to be nosey but what are you need the extra torque for?

• rojapar

Posted August 11, 2015 - 09:58 AM

not to be nosey but what are you need the extra torque for?

riding in the woods over boulders, taking off going up steep hills, slow technical type stuff, etc.  I know I bought the wrong bike for the job, but I'm trying to maximize what I have to get by until I can afford something more suitable. 

• Conner_Steezel

Posted August 11, 2015 - 01:23 PM

Just go to a 12 tooth in front and save your self some money.

• 15thumper

Posted August 11, 2015 - 08:33 PM

Don't do that it will change pitch angle and eat your chain I run 51 in trails it's very torquey

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2015 - 06:27 AM

Here' the problem; the bike idles at 2000 RPM, so for practical purposes, say that 3000 is as slow as it can be run in gear, clutch engaged.  With the stock 13/49 in low gear, that's 12.5 MPH.  Changing to a 12/52 will reduce that speed only to 10.8 MPH, but it will take 6 MPH off of your cruising speed at 6000 RPM, and 11 MPH off your top end.  On top of that, it will exaggerate the bike's tendency to lurch and jerk at low speeds in response to changes in the throttle.

Add a flywheel weight and either master the clutch, or install a Rekluse. 

• rojapar

Posted August 12, 2015 - 07:33 AM

Just go to a 12 tooth in front and save your self some money.

I don't want it to eat the chain sliders out prematurely.  Also, I had to take a punch to remove the front sprocket lock washer, which I just hate doing, so I want to leave it alone until it wears out.

• rojapar

Posted August 12, 2015 - 07:35 AM

Here' the problem; the bike idles at 2000 RPM, so for practical purposes, say that 3000 is as slow as it can be run in gear, clutch engaged.  With the stock 13/49 in low gear, that's 12.5 MPH.  Changing to a 12/52 will reduce that speed only to 10.8 MPH, but it will take 6 MPH off of your cruising speed at 6000 RPM, and 11 MPH off your top end.  On top of that, it will exaggerate the bike's tendency to lurch and jerk at low speeds in response to changes in the throttle.

Add a flywheel weight and either master the clutch, or install a Rekluse. 

I added a GYTR flywheel weight, and I could barely tell a difference.  I'm not bad with a clutch, but like I said, I can't afford a recluse and have the wrong tool for the job.  Just trying to make things a little better as cheaply as I can.

• 15thumper

Posted August 12, 2015 - 08:17 AM

Depending on the track they are racing pro racers like dungy barcia etc.. routinely use 52,53 rear sprockets it's your bike run it the way you want its that simple, I run a 51 on all my bikes and love it, it allows me to live in 3rd gear in trails

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2015 - 09:28 PM

Depending on the track they are racing pro racers like dungy barcia etc.. routinely use 52,53 rear sprockets it's your bike run it the way you want its that simple, I run a 51 on all my bikes and love it, it allows me to live in 3rd gear in trails

You should check on what front they're running if you see that outdoors.  Some team mechanics like to run a 14 for less chain drag and longer life, and that, with a 52 is the same as a 13/49.  At SX tracks , you would never get to 5th with stock gearing, and lowering the overall ratio makes the gearbox ratios closer.  That gives you more choices in shifting. 

• torkd14

Posted August 13, 2015 - 04:06 AM

I put a 52 rear on my '14 and it's very close to the chain guide. Haven't noticed much ware though. I'm running the "gradual response, smooth feeling" map and find the bike much better in the bush.

• kingweezerdude

Posted July 09, 2016 - 05:06 PM

Any updates with a 52 tooth on the rear?

• grantbremer

Posted July 12, 2016 - 07:29 PM

I've been running 14-52 and gytr 9.9 flywheel for the mountains- and having a blast! Poor man's Rekluse. Yeah I lose top speed but 50 is fast enough on the two-track. Yes the chain guard runs close to the sprocket. I bought a sample block of hdpe online and made a lifetime supply of sliders but I suppose you could reposition the guard easily enough too. Spend a hundred bucks on a rear tubliss, another hungey on a cheater tire and yum-yum.

• FRANTIK1

Posted July 14, 2016 - 04:18 PM

I have run a 52 on my 14 without any issues.

I have also run a 12t countersprocket on my 09 for years without issues.

• RMK800

Posted July 15, 2016 - 03:07 PM

I have run a 52 on my 14 without any issues.
I have also run a 12t countersprocket on my 09 for years without issues.

I believe 52 is the largest without having to adjust the chain.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.