06 wr450 backfire problems

4 replies to this topic
  • Mr YumYums

Posted August 10, 2015 - 05:14 PM

I recently bought an 06 wr450f and it has a hmf slip on exhaust installed. The bike backfires sometimes. Is this a big issue? I'm buying a quiet core and spark arrestor insert for the muffler. What exactly should I be rejetting on the carb, if anything at all? Thanks

• RMK800

Posted August 10, 2015 - 06:41 PM

You need to give us a little more information then that like...elevation. Be a good idea to go through the entire carb to see what you got in there. Backfire is your lean on the fuel screw. You might need to open it up a 1/4 or 1/2 turn. You also could be lean everywhere else like pilot jet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mr YumYums

Posted August 10, 2015 - 07:07 PM

1300 feet, could the backfire damage my engine though?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 10, 2015 - 07:35 PM

You have a lean condition caused by an air leak.

No reason to change jetting if it ran well before with the jetting you have, unless you went up 8,000 ft......

Fuel screw

Muffler joints

Air boots

..corroded and leaking hot start plunger <<<<< very common

Edited by KRANNIE, August 11, 2015 - 05:42 AM.

• Summit

Posted August 11, 2015 - 04:26 AM

Also check to make sure the little rubber boot on hot start nut is properly seated.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.