Rear Shock Question

1 reply to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted August 07, 2015 - 07:33 AM

Looked in the factory manual and there is NOTHING about dis-assembly and re-assembly of the rear shock

The thing is fairly old, and I'd like to at least go inside and get rid of the oil inside that must have tons of abrasive particles in it

I'll hold off on sending it out to Factory Connection for now, but i'd like to refurbish the thing

1) If I assume the seals are not leaking I can pour the old oil out into a measuring cup and replace the same volume of fluid (manual has nothing)

2) I need to re-pressurize with nitrogen....how may PSI?

3) While I am in there is there a piston or a seal to be replaced?.....do they home the ID of the bore?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 07, 2015 - 09:04 AM

Looked in the factory manual and there is NOTHING about dis-assembly and re-assembly of the rear shock

The thing is fairly old, and I'd like to at least go inside and get rid of the oil inside that must have tons of abrasive particles in it

I'll hold off on sending it out to Factory Connection for now, but i'd like to refurbish the thing

1) If I assume the seals are not leaking I can pour the old oil out into a measuring cup and replace the same volume of fluid (manual has nothing)

2) I need to re-pressurize with nitrogen....how may PSI?

3) While I am in there is there a piston or a seal to be replaced?.....do they home the ID of the bore?

Get the Racetech suspension bible.  It has everything about rebuilding a Kyb shock.

I repressurized mine with 150 PSI air and it works great.

I don't think you need to rehone the bore unless its bad and it usually isn't.  The shaft is a bigger concern and its easily (cheaply) replaceable.

I recommend buying a spare shock to play with.   They are pretty cheap on eBay.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.