HI/LOW simultaneous?

15 replies to this topic
  • tmasWR

Posted August 04, 2015 - 09:08 PM

I tried searching for this to no avail...

I put a street-legal controller switch on my '13 wr450.  I don't like the fact that if I wire directly through the switch that I can turn the headlight completely off.  I worry during daytime driving I might forget to turn the light on and compromise my visibilty.  I wanted to leave the stock low-beam intact so it is always on when the bike is running, and just wire the hi-beam from the switch.  Doing this would cause the hi-beam to come on while the low beam is still on...

Would this cause problems?  I'm not too familiar with how much power this is going to draw vs. how much is available from the stock charging system.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 08, 2015 - 01:46 PM

I tried searching for this to no avail...

I put a street-legal controller switch on my '13 wr450.  I don't like the fact that if I wire directly through the switch that I can turn the headlight completely off.  I worry during daytime driving I might forget to turn the light on and compromise my visibilty.  I wanted to leave the stock low-beam intact so it is always on when the bike is running, and just wire the hi-beam from the switch.  Doing this would cause the hi-beam to come on while the low beam is still on...

Would this cause problems?  I'm not too familiar with how much power this is going to draw vs. how much is available from the stock charging system.

I have a 2012 and you have a lot of power to play with.  I currently have a 30w led (hi and low) bulb on mine, but I ride only off road and have them both on all the time.  For most led H4 bulbs, when you turn on the high beam the low stays on as well so for me it was just a matter of using just two of the three wires coming off the back of the plug to the bulb.  I think what you could do on yours is have your headlight run off the stock wiring.  This way low beam will be on as soon as the engine is lit.  Then add one single power wire (the bulb is already getting ground from the stock harness) through a handlebar switch and then directly to the 3rd, or high beam wire on the back of the plug so you can turn it on only when you want it, but the low will always be one.

I also run a 60w led off road light sometimes and can tell you that these bikes don't have any problem powering that light while still maintaining a positive charge to the battery at idle.  If you were to run a standard 55/60w halogen bulb and do this, it could be a little iffy as you'd be asking the bike to drive 115w when you have the high beam on.  A very good solution to this would be to just run an led H4 bulb.  About the most powerful one that is sold now is 40w total (high and low together) and it will put out far more light than anything you could hope for from halogen.

I would go for this bulb or something very similar.  It is plug and play and you'll be very happy with the output while not straining your system.

http://www.aliexpres...2312476025.html

• tmasWR

Posted August 08, 2015 - 07:03 PM

I would go for this bulb or something very similar.  It is plug and play and you'll be very happy with the output while not straining your system.

Awesome, good info.  Thank you.  You run that exact brand?  I'm always leery to order things directly from China without a direct reference.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 08, 2015 - 08:28 PM

Awesome, good info.  Thank you.  You run that exact brand?  I'm always leery to order things directly from China without a direct reference.

Honestly I don't know the exact brand that I run but it's a lower wattage version of this one and has been flawless for me.  I have been ordering HID bulbs and ballasts and LED bulbs and lights and battery packs from this place for years and have not had any problems.  This bulb though, will be the next one I order for my light as it has one more led and they are on both sides of the bulb, not just the low beam side like my current bulb has.

• tmasWR

Posted August 09, 2015 - 07:53 AM

Cool.  It looks like it's plug-n-play...is there anything else I'd need to run it?

• toten

Posted August 09, 2015 - 08:49 AM

If you're running a normal halogen H4 they aren't intended to run both at the same time. I'd expect it to melt the headlight reflector.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 09, 2015 - 10:46 AM

If you're running a normal halogen H4 they aren't intended to run both at the same time. I'd expect it to melt the headlight reflector.

That is a reasonable concern, but I doubt it.  The one I run is 30w and there is no issue at all.  LED's also run cooler in general than halogen or HID.  In a Baja Design standard enduro light that I converted to HID I also ran a dual burning HID that ran low and high together with dual ballasts.  That used 70 watts when both were burned at the same time and it was no problem on my '08, but that had a glass lens.  Still the reflector was the usual plastic that you find in a stock reflector.  If you are concerned about anything melting, try this 30w bulb.  It is the exact bulb I use without any problems.

http://www.aliexpres...2219472835.html

By the way tmasWR, there is nothing else you need.  It plugs into the stock female WR plug.  But these LED bulbs with high and low work a little differently than a halogen with high and low.  With a halogen, the low is designed to turn off when the high goes on.  On the LED bulbs when you turn high on, the low is designed to stay on.  So on the bulb above that I use, it is burning two leds on low (for 20 watts) and only adds the 3rd led on high for 30 watts total.  So the 40 watt bulb at the top of this thread should work the same way.  That is why I only have two of the three wires hooked up on mine.  I have the high beam wire hooked up to the low beam part of the plug so it burns all 3 leds all the time without any switch to worry about because I ride off road only.  The only trick on mounting is that there is a ring around the bulb that you have to unscrew first and clamp it down with the stock headlight spring clamp and then you reattach the bulb to the ring.  That is because the spring clamp will not fit around the heat sink and fan in the bulb.

One last thing.  The main reason I will be switching from the 30w to the 40w is not so much because of the extra 10 watts, but more because of the way they are arranged.  On my 30 watt bulb all 3 leds are on one side so when the high beam is on it is still only directed on the low beam side of the reflector (the top half of the reflector).  On the 40 watt bulb you have two leds on each side so low beam is directed at the top half of the reflector and when high beam is on the other leds are facing the bottom half of the reflector.  Take a really good look at your stock reflector and you'll see that the upper half has more angles for more of a flood effect and the lower half, although it still has some slight angles, is much more smooth so it focuses the light further down field of you for greater distance.  So with my 30 watt bulb I'm effectively only using half of my reflector and it is all low beam, flood style output.  I will say though it is still very good light and far better than halogen could ever hope to be and to me a bit better than hid.

• tmasWR

Posted August 09, 2015 - 07:21 PM

Well I just ordered that bulb off aliexpress.  I'm honestly pretty nervous, they have crumby reviews on google, but I figured I'm feeling brave so I decided to give it a shot.   Now just wait the month it takes to get here from BFE, and I'll have  a review for ya!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DeepPurplishBlue

Posted August 09, 2015 - 07:29 PM

Well I just ordered that bulb off aliexpress.  I'm honestly pretty nervous, they have crumby reviews on google, but I figured I'm feeling brave so I decided to give it a shot.   Now just wait the month it takes to get here from BFE, and I'll have  a review for ya!

I ordered the pack of 2 bulbs today...   at only $23.50 each the risk is low enough I can give it a go...

The wife orders stuff all the time that comes china post and it is actually faster delivery then I expected it to be so we will see how this goes!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 09, 2015 - 10:41 PM

It's hit or miss guys.  I just ordered a helmet light a few weeks ago and it arrived in about 10 days.  I have had some orders take 3 weeks though.  It's kind of like a Chinese Ebay or Amazon.  If there is a problem with the order then they have a provision to open up a dispute.  The only problem I ever had was a lithium battery back I ordered to power a helmet light a couple of years ago.  Something in the way it was wired up did not allow it to function.  I contacted them and they wanted to refund my money and for me to look locally for it.  I told them that I couldn't find anything like it locally anywhere near that price and asked them to just send out another, which they did and it worked fine.

• toten

Posted August 10, 2015 - 05:40 AM

I've had a cheap China headlight melt (not fully melt but sag) from a normal 55/60 H4 before so I figured our reflectors aren't intended to run double the power they do stock. They can be made cheaper/lighter if they're only designed for 60W rather than 115W. 

If you're running LED I agree it's unlikely you'll melt anything. 

• tmasWR

Posted August 23, 2015 - 09:47 AM

I received the bulb from Aliexpress.  It seems to be pretty dang bright!  I installed it late last night so I didn't go for a ride, but will have a better idea the next few days how the brightness is.  The one this I think I will love is that the low stays on too when switched to Hi beam.  I wired my stock setup so that they ran independently, but found myself constantly switching hi/low when in the mtns on trails, corners/rough patches needed low and straights between needed high.  Hopefully now I can throw it on high and forget about it!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 24, 2015 - 03:53 PM

I received the bulb from Aliexpress.  It seems to be pretty dang bright!  I installed it late last night so I didn't go for a ride, but will have a better idea the next few days how the brightness is.  The one this I think I will love is that the low stays on too when switched to Hi beam.  I wired my stock setup so that they ran independently, but found myself constantly switching hi/low when in the mtns on trails, corners/rough patches needed low and straights between needed high.  Hopefully now I can throw it on high and forget about it!

Did you get the 30w or 40w version?  If you have the 30w version like I have, the 3 leds are on the same side (the low beam or top side of the reflector) and on the street can all be left on 100% of the time.  If you have the 40w version where it has 2 leds on each side, you are getting a true high beam on that bulb so if on the street you'll want to be able to switch high off at times.  And yes, low beam stays on with these kinds of bulbs when you run the high beam, which is a plus.

• tmasWR

Posted August 24, 2015 - 04:27 PM

I got the 40...2 LED's on each side...so it does have a true difference between high/low angle.  and I took it for a ride last night, it was awesome!  I spotted deer along the road way off...and darn near felt like I needed sunglasses when my high beams reflected off the street signs!  Pretty well pleased here.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 24, 2015 - 05:59 PM

I got the 40...2 LED's on each side...so it does have a true difference between high/low angle.  and I took it for a ride last night, it was awesome!  I spotted deer along the road way off...and darn near felt like I needed sunglasses when my high beams reflected off the street signs!  Pretty well pleased here.

Very cool, I figured you would like it.  I want to try that bulb next.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted August 24, 2015 - 07:19 PM

Very cool, I figured you would like it.  I want to try that bulb next.

Mine arrived also...    can't try it in a bike yet but bench tests show insane amounts of light.  

Every time I fired it up it was like staring into a flash bulb during a photo session.   I show it drawing

about 20 watts on low beam and 34 on high.    Not bad considering the specs show it at 40.  Overall

not a bad deal for $23.50 each with free shipping.

I expect the weak link is still the fan but the bulb itself doesn't seem to get very hot.  It is the driver box in

the wire that does.    The fan is probably the reason it requires DC, but that is curious because all of these

LED bulbs seem to include a switch mode buck/boost converter so it really shouldn't matter if the input is

AC or DC because the first thing those converters do is rectify the input to DC.   If the input is already

DC it pretty much just passes through to the next stage.   I am curious about the circuitry in the small

driver module but expect it is probably potted in epoxy like the other LED bulb I have (the one without the

fan)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.