YZ timing mod on WR426

6 replies to this topic
  • Smur3

Posted February 23, 2004 - 01:09 PM

I've seen a few posts saying to mod the WR426 w/YZ timing but can someone who's done this describe it? Meaning, what is the benefit, what is involved in changing it, and is that a main diff betw a WRF and a YZF? Do a lot of you prefer stock WR timing?

• FTD

Posted February 23, 2004 - 01:34 PM

I had the fortunate opportunity to ride my bike (WR timed at the time) on a single track trail, then hop off it and ride the exact same bike with YZ timing. I got off and he asked, "Did you like it." I said, "NO! (because I told him I had no desire to change) but when can you do mine." I really noticed that it revved out quicker. Some complaints were that the WR stalled in the tight stuff with the YZ timing... can you say "clutch control?" I didn't see much of a change in that area.
YZ time it!!!!!!!!

• jwriott

Posted February 23, 2004 - 01:56 PM

Go here. Motoman393 Site

I changed and the bike is a lot more fun to ride. Revs quicker, runs smoother and I don't think I lost any bottom end.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted February 24, 2004 - 03:55 AM

I agree with everyone else. I just YZ timed mine 2 months ago. Very noticeable difference. Souded better, ran better, quicker throttle response. Just more eager to get going. I have not noticed any issues with stalling.

See the motoman website. IMO you do not need to remove the cam chain tensioner.

Have fun with it.

• jwriott

Posted February 24, 2004 - 05:20 AM

I think you could also do this without removing the exhaust cam. Just mark the chain and cam with white out, loosen the tensioner, lift the chain and rotate the cam 1 tooth. :)

• jchantzWR400F

Posted February 24, 2004 - 08:13 AM

On mine, there would have been no way to rotate the exhaust cam without removing it. There just wasn't enough clearance.

If you could do that, it sure would be nice.

• Hamish

Posted February 24, 2004 - 10:19 AM

you won't have enough chain length to move the timing one tooth without removing the camshaft. As I found with my engine, the TDC mark isn't always perfect. It's a good idea to check that too :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.