Anyone run a rear cargo rack? What about this one?

10 replies to this topic
  • tmasWR

Posted July 31, 2015 - 07:18 PM

I like to pack a couple fuel bottles with me on longer trips. I use MSR red 30oz fuel bottles http://www.backcount...AgPFxoC0zzw_wcBIn the past I would strap them on the back of my camelback.  I have been toying with the idea of running a rear fender rack on my 2014 wr450 to pack these bottles.  I checked out the pro-moto billet ones and they look sharp and solid...i'm just struggling to choke down the ~$190 price tag.

I ran across this website of a company out of Utah, but haven't found much info about them.  What do you guys think at less than half the price of the pro-moto ones?

http://www.wr-produc...450f-2007-2014 

They do look sharp at least.  I think i'll send them an email to find out if they have any pictures of them actually mounted on a bike.

• tmasWR

Posted July 31, 2015 - 07:20 PM

Sorry, meant to post this on the WR forum.

• highmarker

Posted July 31, 2015 - 07:23 PM

I use a giant loop mohave, and cheap fuel bottle  Motor oil quarts, 1/2 gal plastic booze jugs, power aide bottle's etc.  Trick is fill them full to top. Any space will build up pressure from the fumes.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted August 01, 2015 - 06:01 AM

http://www.thumperta...argo-rack-2006/

• tmasWR

Posted August 02, 2015 - 04:06 PM

Thanks, I was looking for a thread like that.

I will order the WRP tomorrow, i'll let you know how it works for me!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SurfaceToAir

Posted August 09, 2015 - 12:35 AM

I made a rack for the fender that I strap msr tanks to. But also have soft saddle bags that I also put cans in. The saddle bags are great and I use them more than the rack.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by SurfaceToAir, August 09, 2015 - 12:40 AM.

• tmasWR

Posted August 09, 2015 - 07:50 AM

I made a rack for the fender that I strap msr tanks to. But also have soft saddle bags that I also put cans in. The saddle bags are great and I use them more than the rack.

Sweet set up, looks like fun country to ride in.  I've wondered about saddle bags, I might need to check some out.  That rack looks cherry for hauling a few lbs as well.  I should have found some time and just welded up my own...still might if I don't like this wrp rack.

My WRP rack got lost in transit, good ol USPS.  Supposed to be delivered on Monday now...not holding my breath.  I'll post up some pics when I get it here and try it out.

• tmasWR

Posted August 11, 2015 - 04:13 PM

Rack finally got here today.  Overall I think it is pretty slick.  I wish it tapered narrower as it goes back, like the fender( just for a sportier look) It feels solid, should carry a couple fuel bottles snug no problem.  Note, you do have to drill two holes in the fender for mounting...and trim the side fender plastics a bit as well.

IMAG1450_zpsrxyi6b2j.jpg

• PacoPaez

Posted August 11, 2015 - 07:50 PM

The wr450 sub frame is not strong to carry a lot of weight on a rack I used one dont matter wich the pressed nuts are too weak if bolt gets loose it damages the nut that holds seat also.

• tmasWR

Posted August 11, 2015 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the advice Paco.  Hopefully it will be able to handle the 4-5lbs i'll throw on it in fuel.  Was your problem only happening when the bolts would work loose?

The wr450 sub frame is not strong to carry a lot of weight on a rack I used one dont matter wich the pressed nuts are too weak if bolt gets loose it damages the nut that holds seat also.

• PacoPaez

Posted August 11, 2015 - 08:27 PM

Yes on a two day ride in Baja I had tools and heavy duty tube only I admit neglected to check for loose bolts my wr is an 09 aluminum subframe.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.