2002 yz250f and 2000 yz426f parts interchangeability

2 replies to this topic
  • Chaotic29

Posted July 29, 2015 - 10:05 PM

Hi, 

Im new, and have not been able to find much information searching around, so bear with me if my questions are noob questions and i missed the info somewhere.

I have a 2000 yz426f that finally gave up the ghost and the engine is shot. At this point it is not worth it to me to rebuild it for the price that i could buy a newer bike. I also have a 2002 yz250f. 

-The yz426f has a hydraulic clutch, tag bars and triple clamp, excel wheels and new tires, fmf powercore 4 slip on and possibly a header (cant remember), aftermarket seat, and the list goes on. 

-My 2002 yz250f is bone stock...

So that brings me to my first question... how interchangeable are the parts? 

first does anyone know if the frames are the same?  

will the triple clamp, bars, and forks swap easily? or even all of the suspension for that matter.

the fmf slip on bolts right up to my 250, but the stock header on my 250 is a smaller diameter pipe than the fmf slip on... have not had a chance to take the 426 header off and test fit it. 

Basically, all in all, does anyone know how close the parts on these bikes are?

I would really like to take as many aftermarket parts off the 426 and put them on the 250 if i can without much fab work. they seem to be very similar if not the same in person, but i do not feel like tackling the project to figure out that it will not fit. 

Any help is appreciated. 

thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2015 - 06:22 AM

Very few engine parts interchange. Very few.

The frames are not the same. The 426 is quite a bit heavier, the geometry is a little different, and each has model-specific hard points.

The suspension is interchangeable, but because of the weight difference, both front and rear will need new springs and different internal valving.  The triples can be used on the 250F if you use the 250F steering stem.  Unless one has a non-standard offset, the top clamp should also interchange as is.  There's about a 10-12mm difference in the length.  Overall, unless one's in significantly better condition than the other, there's no point in it.

Wheels will freely interchange.

• Chaotic29

Posted July 30, 2015 - 06:47 AM

10-4

Thanks for the info! Anything helps

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.