Killed engine when kick starting (broken rod)

15 replies to this topic
  • Flacco

Posted July 29, 2015 - 05:55 AM

Hi everyone. I just picked up a 2004 wr450f this afternoon, took it for a test ride, everything was ok so I bought it. I rode it home and stopped part way home to talk to my wife as she was following in our car . I turned the bike off, had a two minute chat then went to restart the bike (kick starting it) gave it one kick and heard a cracking sound. Thought if was a bit strange and went to kick it again and the kick start was stuck. I then towed it home the last five kilometers and then had a look at it. Starter motor was smashed off its mounts hole in crankcase and bottom of barrel. The conrod appears to be stuffed also. Has anybody else ever have this happen to them. The engines dead, I owned the bike for less than an hour and I'm not real bloody impressed. Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on my problem.

• DPete

Posted July 29, 2015 - 05:58 AM

Now that sucks!!

• bikedude987

Posted July 29, 2015 - 06:02 AM

There's no light to be shed.  You managed to kill the motor (doesnt' sound like your fault).  It probably needs new cases/barrel and a rebuilt crank at the minimum.  You must have a leg the size of an elephant, because this sounds like it let go at 6K rpm, not kickstarting from a dead stop...

• Flacco

Posted July 29, 2015 - 06:19 AM

Haha, my legs aren't like Schwarzenegger's unfortunately, otherwise I'd know the cause of it. That's why it has me stumped. I work in a bike shop (on bikes) and haven't seen or heard of this happening in this way before.

• stevethe

Posted July 29, 2015 - 06:59 AM

Supper duper bummer. That really sucks and is very strange.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 29, 2015 - 08:30 AM

Did you buy an estart bike with the estart not working ?

• Flacco

Posted July 29, 2015 - 01:28 PM

Do you mean estart as the in hot start or electric start ?

• Flacco

Posted July 29, 2015 - 01:30 PM

The hot start was disconnected and the battery was flat so that's the reason I kicked it to start it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mcflyz450f

Posted July 29, 2015 - 01:35 PM

It almost sounds like a prior issue with the e-start before buying? 

Did you get a chance to see it start with the e-start before buying?

• Flacco

Posted July 29, 2015 - 01:50 PM

I didn't get to see it start on the electric start. It didn't give any warning noises or anything before it's destruction. And as bikedude987 said, it looks like it let go at 6k rpm, but it has me stuffed how it happened whilst trying to kick it over

• stevethe

Posted July 29, 2015 - 02:14 PM

Not sure if there is enough in a foot start to break a rod ?

• Flacco

Posted July 29, 2015 - 03:47 PM

The engine actually fired, only briefly and I assume it was probably doing around 1500-2000 rpm. There is no way my bony little legs could break a rod.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 29, 2015 - 04:20 PM

Yeah, you got ripped off.

Sounds like the starter was disconnected because the starter clutch was broken, and parts separated when you kick started it.

• Summit

Posted July 29, 2015 - 04:57 PM

I'd discuss it with previous owner and see if he'll help out.

• Flacco

Posted July 29, 2015 - 07:15 PM

It's turned out ok, the previous owner has agreed to Chuck some money my way to help repair it. Lucky I work on bikes and have half an idea what I'm doing. Thanks everyone for your time

• Mcflyz450f

Posted July 29, 2015 - 07:20 PM

It's turned out ok, the previous owner has agreed to Chuck some money my way to help repair it. Lucky I work on bikes and have half an idea what I'm doing. Thanks everyone for your time

great, glad that worked out but still sounds like he knew about it before he sold it...just saying

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.